Bettas stomach is fat?

On 2/7/2024 at 4:15 PM, Odd Duck said:

Is he still eating?  How much?  Did you have any luck getting him to eat Daphnia reliably?

Yeah he is but he will only eat for a lil bit @Odd Duck. I have no chance to go somewhere for the live daphnia and today his stomach is HUGE HUGE HUGE! Help!

There’s really not much more I can tell you beyond what we’ve already discussed - Daphnia is your best shot if it’s an intestinal issue, but if it’s internal organ damage - liver or kidney - there really isn’t much that can be done except superb water quality and hope he can heal with time.  With the stomach getting bigger it could be an internal tumor and there’s nothing short of potential microsurgery to be done if that’s even possible in his case.  There are maybe 2-3 veterinarians in the country capable and willing to risk that and cost would be several hundred dollars and possibly thousands if they required advanced imaging (CT scan or MRI) before surgery.  It’s simply not realistic to do that type of surgery on a betta if he was even a candidate for surgery.

You will have to keep trying with frozen or live Daphnia as your best option.  With frozen you could try adding metronidazole since you might get incredibly lucky and treat a flagellated protozoan with that.  But honestly, any treatment at this stage is a long shot for a cure.  I wish there was something more definitive I could recommend.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 4:54 PM, Odd Duck said:

There’s really not much more I can tell you beyond what we’ve already discussed - Daphnia is your best shot if it’s an intestinal issue, but if it’s internal organ damage - liver or kidney - there really isn’t much that can be done except superb water quality and hope he can heal with time.  With the stomach getting bigger it could be an internal tumor and there’s nothing short of potential microsurgery to be done if that’s even possible in his case.  There are maybe 2-3 veterinarians in the country capable and willing to risk that and cost would be several hundred dollars and possibly thousands if they required advanced imaging (CT scan or MRI) before surgery.  It’s simply not realistic to do that type of surgery on a betta if he was even a candidate for surgery.

You will have to keep trying with frozen or live Daphnia as your best option.  With frozen you could try adding metronidazole since you might get incredibly lucky and treat a flagellated protozoan with that.  But honestly, any treatment at this stage is a long shot for a cure.  I wish there was something more definitive I could recommend.

Ok thanks for all the help u gave meA! @Odd Duck I appreciate it. I will continue with daphnia and hopefully…he will do better…

• Like 1