Bladder snail white poop?

pstrokaty

Hello guys, I have a few bladder snails in my tank, well now probably a few dozen... Recently, I noticed that some of them have white, completely white, coiled threads sticking out, like in the picture. I've read a lot about their poop, seen a lot of pictures, and the shape seems to match, but not the color. Supposedly, it should range from green to brown depending on their diet, and indeed, most bladders in my aquarium produce feces in that color. So, just to be sure, I decided to ask. 😄 I even analyzed their anatomy and which side they have their anus on, lol.

20240117_193247-EDIT.jpg

Edited by pstrokaty
tags added
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 4:09 PM, pstrokaty said:

Hello guys, I have a few bladder snails in my tank, well now probably a few dozen... Recently, I noticed that some of them have white, completely white, coiled threads sticking out, like in the picture. I've read a lot about their poop, seen a lot of pictures, and the shape seems to match, but not the color. Supposedly, it should range from green to brown depending on their diet, and indeed, most bladders in my aquarium produce feces in that color. So, just to be sure, I decided to ask. 😄 I even analyzed their anatomy and which side they have their anus on, lol.

20240117_193247-EDIT.jpg

@pstrokaty How long have you had the bladder snails? Were any of them recently added.

On 1/18/2024 at 4:39 AM, Tlindsey said:

@pstrokaty How long have you had the bladder snails? Were any of them recently added.

@Tlindsey This is a new tank, set it up about a month ago. Got the substrate and plants from a friend, so got some snails eggs as a bonus. Added 10 neocardina shrimps four days ago, and for now, that's the whole crew.

Edited by pstrokaty

On 1/18/2024 at 11:44 AM, pstrokaty said:

@Tlindsey This is a new tank, set it up about a month ago. Got the substrate and plants from a friend, so got some snails eggs as a bonus. Added 10 neocardina shrimps four days ago, and for now, that's the whole crew.

@pstrokaty I suggest treating the aquarium as a quarantine tank and observe for a month or so.

If those snails came from a pond it's possible for them to harbor internal parasites. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 6:16 PM, Tlindsey said:

@pstrokaty I suggest treating the aquarium as a quarantine tank and observe for a month or so.

If those snails came from a pond it's possible for them to harbor internal parasites. 

@Tlindsey Not good, but I'll keep an eye on it. So far, I've noticed it twice. It's hard to say whether it was moving or just moves by water currents. After detaching from the snail, it sank to the bottom. Perhaps it consumed shrimp food that's almost white too? It's hard to tell. My friend doesn't throw random stuff into the aquarium from unverified sources, some stones found outside, but he always sterilizes them before. We'll see.

• Like 1

Nothing to worry about. I see some fine light colored whispy  algae on leaves.  Their poo is the color of what they eat. 
Feed carrots and you get orange confetti snow about the tank. @Chick-In-Of-TheSea has orange snow photos in her snail journal. The brown and green standard comes from green algae and brown detritus.  
They are tough little cuties. As long as they are cruising and eating they are fine. 

edit to add the long coil vs the shorter dash marks means they are eating very well. You may wish to cut back on feeding and remove some detritus or you face a possible population explosion. 

On 1/18/2024 at 2:23 PM, pstrokaty said:

Let me call out @Guppysnail who once helped identify a bladder snails poop on this forum,

Wow that was a long time ago. I can’t believe you found it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2024 at 1:33 AM, Guppysnail said:

Nothing to worry about. I see some fine light colored whispy  algae on leaves.  Their poo is the color of what they eat. 
Feed carrots and you get orange confetti snow about the tank. @Chick-In-Of-TheSea has orange snow photos in her snail journal. The brown and green standard comes from green algae and brown detritus.  
They are tough little cuties. As long as they are cruising and eating they are fine. 

edit to add the long coil vs the shorter dash marks means they are eating very well. You may wish to cut back on feeding and remove some detritus or you face a possible population explosion. 

Wow that was a long time ago. I can’t believe you found it. 

@Guppysnail I'm a bit relieved. The internet suggested it's likely dangerous parasites, and I was convinced I got infected for sure, and there is no hope for me 😆 It's true, they are eating, cruising and reproducing. I don't feed them at all, they consume whatever they find and multiply at an alarming rate. I plan to introduce Clea Helena to the tank to keep an eye on the population growth.

I was searching for similar results on Google Images, and I quickly came across your response 😉

Thanks everyone for help and analyzing my bladders poop! 🫡

PS. Bonus picture of epic battle, or something else... idk

20240118_204218.jpg

• Love 1