Ropefish Paludarium?

slynnsin

If you were going to make a paludarium that holds 100 gallons of water for a group of ropefish how would you do it? The idea would be to have a large enough land portion for a colony of isopods to live and for it to be sturdy enough for the ropefish to get up there and catch them. I have seen the pond style set up Oddball Aquatics has on YouTube, but I would love to see them swim around in a glass tank on the bottom. My concern with the glass is building something sturdy enough. I have seen the paludarium set ups from custom aquariums but I am wondering if anyone else has looked into something similar. Thanks!

On 1/17/2024 at 8:55 AM, slynnsin said:

If you were going to make a paludarium that holds 100 gallons of water for a group of ropefish how would you do it? The idea would be to have a large enough land portion for a colony of isopods to live and for it to be sturdy enough for the ropefish to get up there and catch them. I have seen the pond style set up Oddball Aquatics has on YouTube, but I would love to see them swim around in a glass tank on the bottom. My concern with the glass is building something sturdy enough. I have seen the paludarium set ups from custom aquariums but I am wondering if anyone else has looked into something similar. Thanks!

@slynnsin My first of ever hearing of a paludarium for ropes but definitely will be watching this. 

Yes I have. He made the 300 gallon Paludarium with a tank that had a lower front panel but I think the ropefish would jump out. I know custom aquariums has an option with doors in the front but I haven’t seen too many other options with enough water volume. I don’t think I would be comfortable making a tank of that size myself. 

I will definitely be taking notes from his channel for the materials and all of that for the land portion!

• 2 weeks later...

To piggy back off of the woodworking related suggestion would a diy plywood aquarium maybe be a feasible option? I’ve not made one before so this may not even be a sensible idea but I feel like that might allow for you to add in a plywood platform to build up your land on and then maybe have egg crate or something covered with moss and plants and have some filtration stuff under there like seeps designs has done on a few paludarium builds. There may be other ways to go but  a plywood platform seems like it would give a solid base especially if you reinforced it from underneath. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 12:19 AM, MrGibson said:

To piggy back off of the woodworking related suggestion would a diy plywood aquarium maybe be a feasible option? I’ve not made one before so this may not even be a sensible idea but I feel like that might allow for you to add in a plywood platform to build up your land on and then maybe have egg crate or something covered with moss and plants and have some filtration stuff under there like seeps designs has done on a few paludarium builds. There may be other ways to go but  a plywood platform seems like it would give a solid base especially if you reinforced it from underneath. 

I will look into this thanks !

• Like 1

Was just thinking of doing a ropefish tank, but a west african river with congo tetras.  Didn't think of building around the fact they'd come out of the water to hunt or eat.  Such a creative idea!  I'll have to check out the YouTube channels other shared in here.  🙂