Advice on what to feed white cloud minnows?

What kind of diet should wcmm have?I am planting on getting 6 and maybe some snails and possibly shrimp.First time keeping multiple fish.I have a male betta in a 5.This tank for the wcmm is 10 Gal.Also any advice or tips on keeping these fish??

I've had mine for around 2-3 years. They eat flake food and small pellets or crushed pellets. I have krill flake, freeze dried brine shrimp, veggie pellets and bug bites and they will eat all of them. 

In  winter, mine are in a tank with guppies and platies. These guys would outcompete the WCMMs for food if I only used big pellets that sank to the bottom. Guppies etc. will scrounge around and pick at stuff on the bottom but the WCMMs will not. So I use foods that will stay in the top 2/3 of the tank long enough for the minnows to eat them.

In summer, my WCMMs go out into a stock tank pond. I feed them the same foods to start with but as summer bugs and microfauna build up in warm weather, they eat those. At the end of the summer they come back in as fat as cows. They love it outside and they look great in a pond. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I also feed mine frozen cyclops, daphnia, mosquito larvae, bloodworms occasionally, dried fluval bug bites, krill flakes, dennerle crusta gran and live bbs and microworms. But my whiteclouds are really very fat

Plus I recently got 20 shrimps (neocaridina) and they coexist with the whiteclouds quite well.. havent seen one carry eggs yet so no idea about shrimplets, but adults are safe as sound

image.jpeg.3235cb182c7db26374cab81a024f39cb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 1/17/2024 at 7:54 AM, beastie said:

I also feed mine frozen cyclops, daphnia, mosquito larvae, bloodworms occasionally, dried fluval bug bites, krill flakes, dennerle crusta gran and live bbs and microworms. But my whiteclouds are really very fat

Plus I recently got 20 shrimps (neocaridina) and they coexist with the whiteclouds quite well.. havent seen one carry eggs yet so no idea about shrimplets, but adults are safe as sound

image.jpeg.3235cb182c7db26374cab81a024f39cb.jpeg

I have plenty of shrimplets that seem to make it. I'm sure the white clouds might get the odd one

• Like 1

Such an underrated fish. I’ve got some that are pushing 5 years old now and they’ve basically been fed some combination of whatever flake I have and frozen brine shrimp every now and again.

I’ve done white clouds in an outdoor stock tank before too and given enough cover for the fry, you’ll get quite a bit of breeding with almost no intervention.

They are about as hardy as they come.

• Like 3

On 1/17/2024 at 12:33 PM, MattyM said:

I think a 10g is too small for these fish - I have 9 in a 100g, they really need swimming space - very active fish, and they will also grow to about an inch and a half. 

I see what u mean by a 10 being to small but everything says minnows need a minimum 10 gal + I prob going to only 6 or so so I see no problem with getting these.Some say minimum 5!So thx for all the info everyone!!