My CPD fry

elsid84

I’ve only been able to count 15 but I’m happy with that for my first try. I got some of the fry food that was recommended to me also just in case. Thanks for that. I have another bin with more that haven’t started swimming. Hopefully my survival rate will be better. My LFS said he was definitely interested in buying them from me.gifmov.gif.0d551105dac00afa239cdab6401bcaaf.gif

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Yay!

In two months they'll be 30% bigger and you'll only be able to tell if you go look at old pictures. 😄

I'm only semi-exaggerating.  They're pretty fun to watch.  My adults are really secretive, but the fry seem to be almost personable, at least for awhile.

Best of luck growing them out! 🙂

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you. I’m pretty patient. I have plenty of fish to keep me busy so I try not to focus on how fast they’re going. The fry are definitely not scared of me the way their parents seem to be. I was hoping that if they see me often they wouldn’t be skiddish of me when they grow up. I suppose that’s just natural behavior. 
edit: spelling 

Edited by elsid84
  • Like 2

I use glass food storage containers cut the center out of the lids. After that I attached needlepoint canvas mesh in its place. I put those in the tank and then placed java moss weighed down with a rock on top of the mesh. It seems to work really well.

I have 6 fry myself atm, and 3 eggs!
They ley eggs in a plastic container with moss, 1/3 of the days I have eggs. They 're in a heavy planted tank so I guess the other days they just lay them where ever.
I wash the moss in tank water and suck the eggs out with a syringe.

this is one of mine, 2 weeks old

fry.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 12:04 AM, Zeaqua said:

If you don’t mind me asking, how did you hatch/raise them so far? I’ve gotten a few spawns, but no luck with hatching. 

I’ve been separating the eggs from the parents. Then just keeping them in some water with a bit of methylene blue and a sponge filter on a low speed until the hatch. Once they hatch keep an eye on them and start feeding once you see them start free swimming. After they hatch they will just lay on the bottom or stick to the side of the tank for a few more days. 

I’m not an expert on this process because this is my first time doing this. With the help of others on this forum and other sources this is what has worked for me. 

• Like 1

The next batch of my breeding project with CPD has started free swimming. As you may know they’re difficult to count being so tiny but in my attempt at it, there’s at least 40 this time. Hopefully this group does as well as the last. Thanks for all your support while I work this out!gifmov.gif.e3301611fa4aefe757fdabd8508e936a.gif

• Love 1