Kribensis breeding project!

Manringjk

So, my partner and I bought a pair of kribs from a LFS yesterday. I have been interested in getting into cichlids lately and knew I wanted to start with an apisto or a krib. It just so happened we stumbled upon the kribs while shopping for something to stock our nano tank (don’t work the kribs went into their own 10g not the nano 😝)

While I was doing the research into the kribs I found that they are good spawners without much interference from the human food factory so I thought they might be a decent way to start breeding. 

I have 3 guppies pregnant in a community tank but I don’t plan on removing any fry and letting happen what will happen. 

if anyone has any tips for kribs specifically or their personal experiences with breeding them or their care in general I’d love to see it! 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 8:16 PM, Manringjk said:

So, my partner and I bought a pair of kribs from a LFS yesterday. I have been interested in getting into cichlids lately and knew I wanted to start with an apisto or a krib. It just so happened we stumbled upon the kribs while shopping for something to stock our nano tank (don’t work the kribs went into their own 10g not the nano 😝)

While I was doing the research into the kribs I found that they are good spawners without much interference from the human food factory so I thought they might be a decent way to start breeding. 

I have 3 guppies pregnant in a community tank but I don’t plan on removing any fry and letting happen what will happen. 

if anyone has any tips for kribs specifically or their personal experiences with breeding them or their care in general I’d love to see it! 

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/what-would-you-do-with-these-kribensis.645086/

Bred Kribensis Pulcher a few years ago. The female would use a section of pvc pipe to lay her eggs in. I had a little algae so fry had something to graze on. A very hardy species but are very aggressive if eggs, wriggler, or free-swimming fry in the aquarium. 

Edited by Tlindsey
Miss spelling
  • Like 1

If the tank is very mature with lots of this and that you won't have to do much as mom will make sure the kids get fed. In my tank they dug their own home beneath a piece of drift wood but this requires you have relative soft substrate that is deep enough and some decent drift wood - this was their cave:

krib_nest.jpg.e307bf1b4ebfb21a8f9f1671c6f0a7e1.jpg

And this is mom looking after her brood; note that they don't use this cave other than a feeding area; the frys are returned to their cave shown above at night:

krib_fry1.jpg.2847fca56b0454c35f8b7b12febcbfca.jpg

She was very attenative and kept very close eye on them 😉

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up moving my Kribs to a 60gallon tank with a few other SA/CA cichlids. They are a lot more out and about now that they have others in there with them but I’m keeping an eye on things in case I start to get some spawning behavior from any of the fish! 

unrelated, got my first batch of guppy fry in my 20 gallon community tank! As far as I can tell, I’ve got 7 free swimmers but mama still looks large and in charge. This is my first time with any fry so learning as I go! 

IMG_4568.jpeg

• Love 1