55gal Goldfish tank

I have 2 fantails, about 2in or so, a comet that's getting bigger 1 1/2in, a Wakin that's about 4in., a 8-10in plecko, an albino claw frog, albino Cory and a trapdoor snail :).... Thoughts? It's a work in progress, these fish have been together about a month, except the Cory he is older. Just added live plants also! From aquariumcoop

IMG_20240106_141113.jpg

IMG_20240106_141053.jpg

IMG_20240106_141044.jpg

On 1/6/2024 at 3:32 PM, BIRD0887 said:

I have 2 fantails, about 2in or so, a comet that's getting bigger 1 1/2in, a Wakin that's about 4in., a 8-10in plecko, an albino claw frog, albino Cory and a trapdoor snail :).... Thoughts? It's a work in progress, these fish have been together about a month, except the Cory he is older. Just added live plants also! From aquariumcoop

IMG_20240106_141113.jpg

IMG_20240106_141053.jpg

IMG_20240106_141044.jpg

The Albino Clawed frog may be a problem if the fish are small enough to fit in it's mouth. 

Hi, @BIRD0887, first off... welcome to the forum!

A couple of observations, some of which you might already know.  Safety first, you're going to want to relocate your power strip in case anything drips down the cords or if you splash a little around and swamp the thing.  It would probably be easiest to fasten up the wall a little ways.

There's a bit of bubbling remaining at the top, this can indicate ammonia building up.  Or possibly you have some medication in there, that can also cause it.  I don't see a filter on your aquarium, but maybe I am just missing it.  Is there a filter that I'm missing in the picture?

The pleco and both of the goldfish get BIG.  The pleco can get probably close to double the size he is now (up to about 24") and both of the goldfish can get probably 10-12".  Unfortunately, this aquarium isn't big enough for any of them, even alone.  And they all produce a TON of waste.  And the strictly vertical footprint can make stocking a little difficult as there's not much swimming space.  But at the moment, what are your long term plans for the fish?  They look healthy and happy so far, just want to make sure you've got the best chance for that to remain the case! 🙂

Editing to say that I misread and that you actually have five goldfish.  There's way way too much in the tank.

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 1

thank u @jwcarlson!! I am so glad i found aquarium coop and these forums!! I have a 75 gal long lined up i am buying next month, and my plan is to transfer my goldfish and the pleco to that tank.... There r a total of 10 things in the tank rn, the only mature thing being the pleco. I know my fantails r gonna get huge and live a long time, part of the reason i got them :) I am struggling with my nitrate and nitrite levels, i just added live plants a few days ago and im hoping it will help. I was doing wkly water changes but my nitrite level was to high today, so i need to keep changing water until i get it down i guess?? I am not new to fish but i have a diffrent love for them now, and just want my tank to be healthy...if u had to pick what to take out of my tank, what would it be? becuase i actually have a new 10 gal i jst setup n cycled but its waiting for fish...was gonna be a betta tank but idk  now...isnt the bubbling from the bubble stones i have in the tank??

@BIRD0887 The pleco needs to go for sure.  Common plecos shouldn't really even be in the hobby, in my opinion.

The goldfish in a 75 it might be ok for... one of them?  Maybe two?  Someone with goldfish knowledge will have to comment, I have never kept them on account of how huge they get.  The tank you have them in now I feel isn't good for any goldfish longterm.

What filter is on the tank?

Bottom line, you will have such a.huge bioload that you're always probably going to struggle with nitrate and maybe even nitrite.  The tank isn't fully cycled OR the filter isn't capable of keeping up or both.  Without knowing what filter you have, it's tough knowing what to suggest.

Definitely change water and definitely start getting rid of fish.

Edited by jwcarlson