white worms all around my tank its everywhere!!

yve

Hi,

i’m cycling my new 5gallon tank.( been a mth at least.) the levels look ok however the seem to be worms all around! they are everywhere - on glass, gravel, plant, or just swimming. can yall help id the worms? (see image; may need to zoom in abit) are they safe for betta?

i’m thinking of moving him in this weekend. he’s currently in a 2gallon tank but he has fin rot and is under kanaplex medication. 

would it be okay for him to move in now or should i get rid of the worms first? 

IMG_9516.jpeg

Edited by yve

Those look like detritus worms. Very common and not a problem for your fish. I'm growing a batch of detritus worms right now in a newly setup tank. I think if you feed fish food to cycle a tank, which I do before introducing fish, the worm population is greater. 

I should mention that the fish consider these little morsels a yummy treat.

On 12/28/2023 at 3:53 AM, yve said:

Hi,

i’m cycling my new 5gallon tank.( been a mth at least.) the levels look ok however the seem to be worms all around! they are everywhere - on glass, gravel, plant, or just swimming. can yall help id the worms? (see image; may need to zoom in abit) are they safe for betta?

i’m thinking of moving him in this weekend. he’s currently in a 2gallon tank but he has fin rot and is under kanaplex medication. 

would it be okay for him to move in now or should i get rid of the worms first? 

IMG_9516.jpeg

@yve are the worms flat and glide on the glass and substrate. If so those are planaria. I suggest treating the aquarium if they are planaria but if they are detritus worms like stated I wouldn't worry about them. 

thanks for the advise but i can’t really tell if they are detritus or planaria.. they both look alike.. but yea thosw worms so glide on glass surfaces - substrate can’t really tell.  

if its planaria, how should i go abt treating the tank?

On 12/28/2023 at 7:17 AM, yve said:

thanks for the advise but i can’t really tell if they are detritus or planaria.. they both look alike.. but yea thosw worms so glide on glass surfaces - substrate can’t really tell.  

if its planaria, how should i go abt treating the tank?

@yve You can treat with No Planaria,  Prazi Pro, or some have treating with dog or cat dewormer.