Apistogramma recommendations

Cole

Wanting to do a pair of apistos in my UNS 40C it’s a 16 gallon. 15.75x15.75x15.75 cube. Good amount of wood and rock to create a lot of hiding. Will have dwarf sag, crypts and red root floaters for the planting. Tank is cycled and currently no stock to it. Was thinking a pair of apistos, chili rasboras and Otos. What recommendations would you make for the pair? This will be my first time with apistos. 

I'm not super experienced with apistos, but that doesn't seem like a good footprint for them.  Sometimes they need to get away from each other and even in a 20L or a 29 that can be tough to do.  Though it probably depends on the pair.  Additionally, if they spawn they might kill the tankmates (or female kill the male).

On 12/27/2023 at 1:14 PM, jwcarlson said:

I'm not super experienced with apistos, but that doesn't seem like a good footprint for them.  Sometimes they need to get away from each other and even in a 20L or a 29 that can be tough to do.  Though it probably depends on the pair.  Additionally, if they spawn they might kill the tankmates (or female kill the male).

That’s why I suggested the borelli. They stay pretty small. Like 2-3 inches max. While the tank is on the small end, I think a pair of borelli would do ok. They are also one of the better looking Apisto in my opinion.

i wouldn't suggest any of the other species as some can get as large as 5-6inches and pretty girthy.

image.png.c08cf5f4a7cff208c3b2c46db6262201.png

Edited by NOLANANO
  • Like 1

Okay looks like I’m on the search for a Borellii pair then! Was for sure looking for a very small pair since I know I don’t have a ton of room. But I did take hiding spots into consideration when scaping the tank. I also have a 20 long in the works for a different pair. And a 5 gallon to pull out any fry if that happens. 

Thats looks great for a pair of Borelli. Imo the chili rasboras are a good idea but I am not sure about the Otos. There isn't a ton of real estate and putting a decent sized bottom dweller (for that size tank) with the Borelli might not be a good idea.  3-5 Amano shrimp might be a better option if you are just looking for a cleaning crew.

Edited by NOLANANO

On 12/27/2023 at 2:02 PM, NOLANANO said:

Thats looks great for a pair of Borelli. Imo the chili rasboras are a good idea but I am not sure about the Otos. There isn't a ton of real estate and putting a decent sized bottom dweller (for that size tank) with the Borelli might not be a good idea.  3-5 Amano shrimp might be a better option if you are just looking for a cleaning crew.

That was my other thought was to go with the Amanos, do you think they will run the otos around too much? Hypothetically speaking would adding more wood help with that for the otos? 

I would mainly be worried about everyone having their space. I had my pair of Borelli in a 75G where they had tons of space and hiding spots and they were pretty timid.  I don't think either fish would be harmed, I just think the borelli would be more out going with space. 

On 12/27/2023 at 2:30 PM, NOLANANO said:

I would mainly be worried about everyone having their space. I had my pair of Borelli in a 75G where they had tons of space and hiding spots and they were pretty timid.  I don't think either fish would be harmed, I just think the borelli would be more out going with space. 

Makes total sense! Thanks for the input! Can’t wait to find some haha that’s gonna be the tougher part haha