Honey Gourami

smm333

I have 3 honey gourami in my 20 gallon tank. There is also a small school of albino cories, 4 kuhli loaches, 1 male guppy and snails. 

I male keeps making bubble nests and chasing the other male to a corner where he hides. 

The female doesn't seem interested, and his nests don't stand too much of a chance with the other tankmates. 

I recently moved my blue dream shrimp from their 10 gallon to a 20 long with strawberry rasboras. The 10 gallon is still running with a sponge filter. I did a water change yesterday and plan to do another to get the sand cleaner today. 

I was wondering if I move my bubble nester to that tank and let him set up a real good bubble nest, would my female be more likely to spawn with him?

I was thinking I could add Mil (my female) once he has set up his nest, them remove her once they spawn so the babies could be raised in the 10 gallon. 

Has anyone spawned honey gourami? I watched Irene from aquarium co-op do a video on breeding honey gourami and it looks like an interesting project. I'd love to hear success stories and advice from folks who have tried this! Thank you!

Picture of my little man and his current nest. 💕

17035383613335895854820902079217.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

If you (1) have a well-cycled tank with lots of topwater structure (e.g. water lettuce, catappa leaves, etc.) for him to build a nest in, (2) lower tank water to less than 6 inches deep, (3) feed live foods aplenty, and (4) try to reintroduce the pair with a clear divider until he builds a nest, they might spawn. Make sure water temperature is ideal (ca. 80°-F). Also totally seal off the lid. It needs to be humid air above the surface.

• Thanks 1