White spots. Ick or not? After paraclense.

aqualust Bill

Hello everyone.

I Have 3 tanks and was pretty sure they all had tapeworm so I treated all of them with paraclense. One tank after the treatment that has prob 100 guppies (that's a different issue 😂and a hand full of neon Tetras) A few, and I mean a few (the majority look fine) have white spots. The first picture was 2 days ago and the second looks to be a different fish but was a good picture of the bumps look risen. One big female has it only on her right fin. This was spotted two days ago and I haven't really seen it spreading but I've also never dealt with ick so not sure how fast it would. I was trying to find the same fish but nothing standing out. The female with the right fin still only has it on that spot and has not spread making me thing it's not ick. I don't want to treat it for ick if I don't have to and I just finished treating with paraclense. Was the stress of that related? 

all tanks getting water change today and I had brought this tank up to 80-81 as I was prepping for ick treatment and wanted to slow rise the tank. 

so since it's been 2 days and no real "outbreak" should I start dropping the temp back down (usually about 77) 

no new fish on over 6 months.

PXL_20231221_234210685~2.jpg

PXL_20231221_224328276.TS_exported_674~2.jpg

That not ich  it could be epistylis he's how you can tell the difference between ich and epistylis if it's epistylis you would want to lower the temperature at it spreads more quickly at higher temperatures and feeds off of gram negative bacteria on the slime coat of the your fish the most effective treatment is maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days and add ick X to the tank @aqualust Bill

1000000051.png

1000000026.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After the post I did start to drop the temp. I don't really think it's ick also. I'm going to dose erythromycin (API I couldn't get maracyn today)

I had to really go looking but spotted the fish in the 1st pic. I would say the same of not a bit less but either way I do see a spot here and there in others. Nothing really more than I saw Thursday evening. 

Ran every parameter including hardness  all were good 7.4 0-0-21 GH 8 kh5 temp now 77

On 12/24/2023 at 1:38 AM, aqualust Bill said:

After the post I did start to drop the temp. I don't really think it's ick also. I'm going to dose erythromycin (API I couldn't get maracyn today)

I had to really go looking but spotted the fish in the 1st pic. I would say the same of not a bit less but either way I do see a spot here and there in others. Nothing really more than I saw Thursday evening. 

Ran every parameter including hardness  all were good 7.4 0-0-21 GH 8 kh5 temp now 77

You want to use maracyn2 it predominantly treats gram negative and some gram positive bacteria  maracyn predominantly treats gram positive bacteria and some gram negative some it won't be as effective as treating epistylis 

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2023 at 4:25 AM, aqualust Bill said:

Okay, let me see what I can find tomorrow. Kind of hard to find that around here but I have a few other places to check. Thank you for the help

If you can't get maracyn2 I would get kanaplex 

• Like 1