Fluval FX2 Media Questions

Sparkyrad5150

I bought a Fluval FX2 a month or so ago and used the media that came with it.  I’m using it in a 75 gallon community tank with about 10-12 fish in it.  I want to have the cleanest and clearest tank possible without messing up the good bacteria.  Fluval offers so many options in media for the FX2 and have no idea what combination would work the best.  I’ve included pictures of what media is available.  Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_4563.jpeg

IMG_4564.jpeg

IMG_4565.jpeg

IMG_4566.jpeg

IMG_4567.jpeg

IMG_4568.jpeg

IMG_4569.jpeg

IMG_4570.jpeg

IMG_4571.jpeg

IMG_4572.jpeg

On 12/21/2023 at 12:34 PM, Sparkyrad5150 said:

I bought a Fluval FX2 a month or so ago and used the media that came with it.  I’m using it in a 75 gallon community tank with about 10-12 fish in it.  I want to have the cleanest and clearest tank possible without messing up the good bacteria.  Fluval offers so many options in media for the FX2 and have no idea what combination would work the best.  I’ve included pictures of what media is available.  Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_4563.jpeg

IMG_4564.jpeg

IMG_4565.jpeg

IMG_4566.jpeg

IMG_4567.jpeg

IMG_4568.jpeg

IMG_4569.jpeg

IMG_4570.jpeg

IMG_4571.jpeg

IMG_4572.jpeg

On 12/21/2023 at 12:34 PM, Sparkyrad5150 said:

IMG_4563.jpeg

IMG_4564.jpeg

IMG_4565.jpeg

IMG_4566.jpeg

IMG_4567.jpeg

IMG_4568.jpeg

IMG_4569.jpeg

IMG_4570.jpeg

IMG_4571.jpeg

IMG_4572.jpeg

@Sparkyrad5150  I personally would use the pre-filter pad and any of the biomedia. I don't use carbon or anything to help remove Ammonia, Nitrite, or Nitrate so the last eight wouldn't be a choice for me.

On 12/21/2023 at 9:34 AM, Sparkyrad5150 said:

IMG_4563.jpeg

In general terms the way you set up any filter is going to be:  Mechanical --> Biological --> Chemical filtration

Mechanical filter is your prefilter and sponge
Biological is your biorings
Chemical would be optional and would be things like seachem purigen, carbon pads, phosphate pads, or granulated carbon.

The next step is to figure out flow. this determines *where* you place the media.

How does water flow through an FX series canister?

The water first moves to the bottom of the canister, and then rises to the top through the foam pads. It then passes back to the bottom of the canister through the media trays in the middle, before finally being returned to the aquarium.

Meaning, the flow is through the outside of the trays first (white foam only) from bottom to the top.  Then it goes from top to bottom through the center portion.

Essentially, by default everything looks good with the exception of the middle section of the bottom tray.

image.png.09458493fdf4a6890c9c1dd001e46cf1.png

• Like 1