UV Sterilizer

Stephen P

46 minutes ago, Stephen P said:

I will be setting up a 53 gallon planted tank soon. It will be located in a room with full sunlight. Should I go ahead and invest in a UV Sterilization unit when I set the tank up, or is it even needed? The water would be from a well and it is very hard. 

I think UV sterilizers not only kill algae but also aquarium plants, so probably not the best idea in a planted aquarium. But if your looking for algae control you could get snails, amano shrimp, Siamese Algae Eaters, Otocinclus, Bristlenose Plecos

James, I thought UV would only kill something if it was exposed to the light as the water passed it? I do plan on adding some algae eaters as well.  My concern is that with the tank being in a room exposed to full sun that I will have an algae problem.  Obviously I will not know until the problem arises though. 

32 minutes ago, Stephen P said:

James, I thought UV would only kill something if it was exposed to the light as the water passed it? I do plan on adding some algae eaters as well.  My concern is that with the tank being in a room exposed to full sun that I will have an algae problem.  Obviously I will not know until the problem arises though. 

UV doesn't directly harm the aquarium plants, but I think it does break down nutrients added via fertilizer -- maybe not all of them. Also, UV isn't going to stop things like BBA, hair algae, spot algae, diatoms, etc. 

• Like 2