Fish that visually go well with Tiger barbs

NickD

Yes, they ship via priority mail and only charge $20 for shipping. 

I live in western New York, Aqua Huna is in Washington state. They dropped them off on Monday night at USPS,  I got them on Wednesday. I bought 15 Odessa, 2 of them died.

Mark

Edited by madmark285

I'll second Cherry and Odessa barbs as good potential tank mates. Do be aware that the Odessa Barbs can get some pretty serious heft to them over time and will be a little tight in a 29.

I've always liked a Rainbow or Redtail Shark with Tiger Barbs. Pictus cats are another that seem to go well.

Unfortunately, both or these species require a bigger setup than what you've got. 40+ gallons is usually what I would recommend as a bare minimum for the Rainbow, Redtail, or Pictus with 55 gallons being even better.

Upside Down Catfish are a smaller alternative to the Pictus that I've seen go well with Tiger Barbs as well.

• Like 1

@NickD I’ve ordered multiple times from Aqua Huna and so far I’ve been losing 1 out of 6-8 fish on each order.  I would highly recommend quarantine and med trio when you get the fish.  Other then losing that 1 fish on average the rest have been doing great.  I would recommend ordering from them.

I made 2 orders with Aqua Huna, 2 out of 15 Odessa died, 3 out of 12 Forktail Rainbow died (they were very young). The Panda cories, Hillstream loaches and tiger barbs were fine ie: no deaths.

To quarantine freshwater fish, just setup up a temporary aquarium with a sponge filter and leave them in there for a month. Other may have better advice on how to medicate them if needed. If you just have 6 Tiger barbs, I would not use a quarantine tank.

Edit: For my upcoming Mbuna tank (75 gallon) I am working on, I plan to make one big purchase of 20-24 juvenile Mbunas online. The selection locally is limited and expensive. The bio-filter will be well established using ammonia in a bottle. 

Edited by madmark285

On 12/18/2023 at 7:01 AM, NickD said:

I have 29 gallon with 6 Tiger barbs, any fish that look good with these?

A lot of barbs tend to need long tanks because of the activeness and swimming back and forth a lot, just a note. I wouldn't put anything bigger than a cherry barb in a 20g/29g aquarium.  If possible, in the future try to get a 4' long aquarium and you'll see some really awesome barb behavior.

What goes well with barbs is going to be Rasbora or danio species.