Paraclense using ACO reconditions

aqualust Bill

Hello everyone, 

I'm treating all my tanks with paraclense as I suspect my pea puffers have tapeworm and cross contamination is very good possiblity. None are new fish. I do buy snails from the local fish store and my puffers do look pinched. I have lost 2 neons over the past few months. 

Reading the directions on the ACO site it says don't feed for 7days when doing the trio but doesn't say that if just doing paraclense. It just "says let tank sit 7 days" then do water change. 

Is the skip feeding only if doing the trio? What effect would feeding have on the medication? I've done all other things such as remove chemical filtration and UV. Air stone running in all tanks 24/7

It's first time using this so I just want to do it right. 

Any advice is welcome 

Thanks! 

Edited by aqualust Bill
Spelling. I'm SMORT

When I use the trio I don’t feed for the first 4 days, and then I feed just a little for the remaining days, slowly increasing to normal levels. 

I think there’s a couple thoughts behind it. If fish are sick, they probably wouldn’t eat as much as normal, just like humans. I know I don’t eat normally when I don’t feel well. It’s easy to overfeed and cause parameter issues. 

Also, I believe when it comes to deworming specifically, you want to clear the digestive tract and actually make sure you’re getting to the worms for the meds to do what they’re supposed to. 

• Like 1

That makes sense. It's just confusing. A video Cory made 2 yrs ago say follow the package instructions. That would be two doses, a second dose in day 3.  Either way I will still do the 2nd week treatment. 

Being that no fish are new and I think the puffer might have had this some time now am I better off with sticking to the box? (second treatment on day 3) 

If I was deworming specifically I would follow the directions on the box to target that specific issue. 

The trio is more of a prophylactic/preventative approach. Cory has stated that he’ll always start with the trio, but if anything specific comes along they’ll do a water change and treat specifically for the ailment. 

For my Pea Puffers I didn’t do the trio on them, but I did deworm with Paracleanse and followed the directions on the box. They didn’t have signs that I needed to, but I figured if I wasn’t doing the trio, and Puffers are known to have worm issues, it was worth it. 

When my Angelfish got Camallanus Redworm I used Expel-P and followed the directions on the box and was able to successfully treat them. 

If I was you, and was targeting something specific, I would be following the directions on the box to target and eliminate the specific ailment. 

Hopefully that makes it just a little less confusing 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2023 at 9:25 PM, aqualust Bill said:

That makes sense. It's just confusing. A video Cory made 2 yrs ago say follow the package instructions. That would be two doses, a second dose in day 3.  Either way I will still do the 2nd week treatment. 

Being that no fish are new and I think the puffer might have had this some time now am I better off with sticking to the box? (second treatment on day 3) 

For any active infection, you want to follow the directions on the box.  I understand entirely the confusion and it seems to happen from time to time.  Cory did make an updated video and clarified this point.

As a sidenote / clarification, when you're treating for parasites you want to have multiple rounds of treatment. Meaning, 4-6 weeks is normal.  This is because of the lifecycle of the parasite.  You want to have your initial treatment kill the parasites that are beyond the egg stage, then as the eggs hatch your further treatments will kill those off, and finally you have one last treatment to make sure you really are clear of the parasites long term.  Here is Cory's video on that topic, but there's other great resources on the forums when it comes towards disease treatment!

• Thanks 1