How to ship snails?

smm333

I have spixi snails who are breeding VERY well! They started very slowly, but suddenly I have a lot. I have tried to sell on local sites because I have never shipped any live animals and wasn't really interested in going through the trouble. I thought people would be excited to get ahold of these guys, but all the responses are from people wanting them shipped. 

Does anyone have experience shipping snails they could share? Is it difficult? I want them to be safe and happy! I am also in Washington state which is cold right now. I'm sure that adds to the complications. 

I plan to talk with the lfs and see if they would buy them, but if not I'll probably just have to ship them to people.

20231206_215355.jpg

I've never shipped snails, but I've been on the receiving end of many snail shipments. A lot of sellers opt to ship them wrapped in wet paper towels in a cup or bag - I've always had a higher mortality rate that way. Not crazy high, but typically I'll lose none if they're shipped in a bag of water like a fish, as long as shipping doesn't take forever or something. The downside of shipping them in a bag of water is that they might be sloshing around, into each other, and chipping their shells. Shipping them individually would be the best, but of course it'd be expensive.

Just my $0.02. I'm sure someone else has shipped way more snails than me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2023 at 10:41 AM, Chris said:

I've never shipped snails, but I've been on the receiving end of many snail shipments. A lot of sellers opt to ship them wrapped in wet paper towels in a cup or bag - I've always had a higher mortality rate that way. Not crazy high, but typically I'll lose none if they're shipped in a bag of water like a fish, as long as shipping doesn't take forever or something. The downside of shipping them in a bag of water is that they might be sloshing around, into each other, and chipping their shells. Shipping them individually would be the best, but of course it'd be expensive.

Thanks! I hate the thought of them getting hurt! Maybe smaller individual bags with bubble wrap between them. 🤔

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 9:41 PM, Chris said:

Im not sure if this is a valid way of shipping all snails as not all of them can breathe air directly. If I am not mistaken, spixis can't breathe air like mysteries. I have at least never seen mine going to surface for this purpose unlike mysteries.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 3:48 PM, Lennie said:

Im not sure if this is a valid way of shipping all snails as not all of them can breathe air directly. If I am not mistaken, spixis can't breathe air like mysteries. I have at least never seen mine going to surface for this purpose unlike mysteries.

I'm not sure either. 

To clarify, I was recommending an individual bag of water per snail. 

Spixii ship just fine using overnight ir second day air in wet papers towels. I’ve had great success doing so. 

Styrofoam insulation a styrofoam preferred or plastic deli cup with tiny holes and packed with enough paper towels to absorb and water that leaks out. 

Heat pack on side separated by cardboard and packing material between card board and snail container. 

This time of year with holiday delays I would not use usps priority. It’s taking 6-10 days for me to get things. 

Sign up to pirate ship it’s free with very deep discounts on ups and usps shipping making overnight and 2nd day air very affordable. 

My delay rate with usps is 9-10 times late to ridiculous late. Ups is usually always on time. 

Use videos from shipping mystery snails as a guide. The Spixii ship the same. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1