Pygmy corydoras and rasbora eggs

smm333

I have a growing group of strawberry rasboras. I leave the bottom of the tank alone for the most part so I wont disturb any possible eggs. I recently moved them from their 10 gallon to a 20 long, and I think the mulm looks a bit more unsightly in that size. Would a group of pygmy corydoras harm the eggs of the rasboras? Would they work to stir up my substrate, or is there a better little cory for that? 

On 12/10/2023 at 2:58 AM, Guppysnail said:

Corydora really need clean substrate. Often digging about in excess detritus opens them to illness. 

Have you considered trying neocaridina shrimp?  They do great for me with my CPD. 

I do have several shrimp tanks. That may be a good option. I seperated them because I'm sure the rasbora will eat the baby shrimp. They go nuts for vinegar eels, and baby shrimp are so small. Maybe just some adults. 

I was thinking Cory's would keep mulm from accumulating.  They move around enough to get suff into the filters. The tank has a sponge in one corner and a little corner  box filter in the other. I have albino cories in my community tank and they move around a lot! I think between them and the kuhli loaches they are like little roombas! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 2:21 PM, smm333 said:

I do have several shrimp tanks. That may be a good option. I seperated them because I'm sure the rasbora will eat the baby shrimp. They go nuts for vinegar eels, and baby shrimp are so small. Maybe just some adults. 

I was thinking Cory's would keep mulm from accumulating.  They move around enough to get suff into the filters. The tank has a sponge in one corner and a little corner  box filter in the other. I have albino cories in my community tank and they move around a lot! I think between them and the kuhli loaches they are like little roombas! 

I have about 200 bloody mary shrimplets in a 9 gallon with my 12 chili rasbora with maybe 3 fissidens stones that didn't offer much hiding space. 

Mulm should be OK with pygmy corydoras, the "good stuff" in there actually provide great nutrition for pygmy babies. 

Perhaps more relevant to your question.........pygmy corydoras do tend to swim in the water column, so I'm not sure they'll consistently move mulm like your prototypical corydoras.  Another pygmy species habrosus do tend to spend more time at the bottom of the aquarium.  

I feel like adult pygmy corydoras will be able to eat chili rasbora eggs though so keep that in mind.  Despite having tiny mouths, those chili rasbora eggs are super tiny as well.

I added 8 adult blue dream shrimp to the tank. So far everyone seems fine. The fish don't seem to bother the shrimp at all. I only saw 4 today, but I'm sure they are just well hidden. The tank has plants, rock piles, moss, a shrimp cave and a big skull decoration- all potential hideouts! I'm going to leave it alone for a bit, then add some more shrimp. I like the contrast of the blue shrimp with the red fish. There is also a baby gold mystery snail. If the tank gets algae, I may add a little school of otocinclus down the road. 

20231222_011206.jpg

• Like 1