Fundulopanchax gardneri killifish

TeeJay

On 12/6/2023 at 8:19 PM, T. Payne said:

I've kept and bred these for years. Never had any problems with them. I keep mine between 70-80 degrees, they will eat basically anything and are mop spawners.

So no really worry's if aggression since I'm only keeping one male with 2 females then? Awesome I'm keeping them at about 74 degrees. Right now there about 3-4 months old. Around what time do they reach breeding maturity?

On 12/6/2023 at 8:28 PM, T. Payne said:

They will chase each other quite a bit, but I've never witnessed any real damage. If that is your pic of them, they are ready to breed now.

Yes that's them. There setup in a 10 gallon planted tank with plenty of floating guppy grass hornwort and anubias.

I mean my first is to enjoy them and keep them in a tank I like to watch. If I can get them to breed that's just  a bonus. I figure if I become serious on really wanting to have a good go at it. I'll use a mop to collect eggs. Then I can pull them and put them in the ziss breeder box in my 20 long to hatch and start the grow out process.

• Like 1

Be sure to keep a lid on the tank. I had one jump out one day when I forgot to slide the lid back in place after feeding. If you have enough guppy grass and other floating plants, you may notice fry in the tank occasionally. I always kept moss and hornwort in the tank with mine, and I'd find a fry once in a while. When I wanted to be able to collect eggs, I would put a floating mop in for a week and pull it out and put in some water to hatch the fry. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 6:45 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

Be sure to keep a lid on the tank. I had one jump out one day when I forgot to slide the lid back in place after feeding. If you have enough guppy grass and other floating plants, you may notice fry in the tank occasionally. I always kept moss and hornwort in the tank with mine, and I'd find a fry once in a while. When I wanted to be able to collect eggs, I would put a floating mop in for a week and pull it out and put in some water to hatch the fry. 

Yes I'm a floating guppy grass and hornwort junky so plenty of that in there. As well as java moss. That would be awesome just a new baby fish here and there.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 3:45 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

I had one jump out one day when I forgot to slide the lid back in place after feeding.

I second this! I had a small 1/4" gap in the lid, they got stressed out by a water change, and I lost three of my biggest males. It was there for a while but they just suddenly decided they were out.

Live foods and low/indirect light will make there colors really pop.

In killifish groups I've seen people joke that they will breed as long as you have two things: water and food 

• Thanks 1