Does anyone else keep losing bettas no matter what they try?

Lexi B

This is really a rant post that I'm throwing into the void because I'm in the middle of finals and can't stop sobbing over my pet. 

I've been in the hobby since late 2019. I don't know what keeps happening since on paper, everything is exactly the way things should be. I check my parameters and they're clean, I do my 20% water changes on the weekend, I don't over feed, but all of my bettas have randomly just developed a different unresponsive health issue and die right about the time they turn 2.5. My last betta just became riddled with tumors, and then died. I posted some time ago trying to solve my problem with my 2.5 year old that randomly developed a disease that a destroyed the muscles in my face, and no matter what round of medication I use, nothing has worked. Now he's actively going blind and I can't get him to eat and nothing has changed. 

The most aggravating thing is I've had the same school of pygmy corydora since 2020 and this has never happened. I don't know what's going on and it's so devastating to have these guys and then watch them wither despite everything you try. 

Is this just a me problem? Seriously I don't understand and it feels like I'm a failure.

• Sad 1

First off, I am so sorry for all the issues you've had and your losses. ♥️

I don't have any experience with Bettas, but a quick Google search says they live about 2-4 years and that they're usually a year old at least when you get them from the pet ship. So it may not be anything you're doing.

On 12/5/2023 at 4:48 PM, Katherine said:

First off, I am so sorry for all the issues you've had and your losses. ♥️

I don't have any experience with Bettas, but a quick Google search says they live about 2-4 years and that they're usually a year old at least when you get them from the pet ship. So it may not be anything you're doing.

I did notice some signs of age before he got sick, I just thought they lived more like 5 years. Maybe it is just a matter of getting weaker as they age. Either way I appreciate the comment, it just sucks a lot. 

I am so sorry for you losses @Lexi B and I know that you are not a failure for struggling with bettas. Unfortunately the age your bettas have reached is around their average lifespan it doesn't help that commercial bettas do not have great track record of longevity. I hope you feel better soon as it is really not your fault. 

I've gave up on keeping bettas. I kept a small female I got when she was really small. She lived 2 years and randomly died a couple months ago. She was the longest lasting bettas I've ever had. They seem to average just over a year and either just die or develop a disease.  Funny thing is I know of some bettas (not mine) that lived about 5 years in a vase with just a peace lily that are barely fed and hardly water changes and I provide planted tanks with nearly perfect conditions and I can't keep them alive. As much as I enjoy them I just won't risk another just for my enjoyment.

I don't know if this will apply to you, but the only local fish stores near me are the big box variety.  In general I've learned its worth the extra cost of overnight shipping for me to obtain decently breed, healthy fish from online suppliers.  I have found two I trust, and receive young, health fishes. 

Bettas are commonly bred for colors and looks and Im not sure to what extend people care about the diseases that are highly related to some certain lines and their overall health while breeding. Breeding fish requires more responsibility than putting a male and female together and attempting to breed, if you ask me, especially if those fish are known to have problematic lines. Those dragonscales, marbles, double tails, constantly coloring up kois and many more. Super long tails and fins, big ears... People even breed dragonscales (which are likely to be blind due to growth of scales on eyes) and sell blind ones under the name of "diamond eye betta" and stuff. 

Out of 11 bettas Ive kept so far, only 3 didnt develop a disease/symptom and seem healthy in the long term. That is a very low ratio I would say. Now at this point, I think they are one of those healthy ones, but this time, it feels kinda late to breed them potentially as they are not young anymore. That makes it harder to potentially have healthier generations. The common point of all those three is being plakats and no development of further coloring other than showing their color under good care.

I LOVE bettas but I hesitate to get them anymore. 

That being said, there are plenty of wild betta options, which tend to be much healthier overall from what I see from my friends. But many of them are under risk in nature so sourcing them tankbred and still from a good source is important. Many crossbred bettas or versions like aliens are sold as "wild" which are not wild.

• Like 1

Sellers want bettas with full finnage and that takes time to grow. By the time you buy a betta from most retailers, they're at their mid-life point. If you get two to three years from them, you're doing well. They're not a long-term pet. There are fish that live nearly as long as people, koi being one. A koi named Hanako was reported to be 226 years old when it died in 1977. Lungfish often live into their eighties and nineties. Pacus tend to be long-lived also.