What is this critter?

Maree from Melbourne

It is a nymph and they are predators. They will hunt down your shrimp and fry, and maybe tiny fish too?

I usually like to have a live tank with beneficial critters like copepods, detritus worms, snails, shrimp etc. But not all critters are good for the tank sadly. And these are one of those that are not.

I hope you are keeping it in a different container, otherwise they are fairly hard to find and catch.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 11:01 PM, Lennie said:

It is a nymph and they are predators. They will hunt down your shrimp and fry, and maybe tiny fish too?

I usually like to have a live tank with beneficial critters like copepods, detritus worms, snails, shrimp etc. But not all critters are good for the tank sadly. And these are one of those that are not.

I hope you are keeping it in a different container, otherwise they are fairly hard to find and catch.

Thank you so much Lennie for your reply. I don’t have any shrimp or fry in the tank, and our smallest fish are rummy nose and glolight tetras. Hopefully they are ok.

It’s quite late here in Melbourne, I will try and catch it in the morning.  And am due to do a water change on the weekend (missed last weekend due to illness).

We haven’t added any plants or fish for a few months, so I’m not sure how it came into the tank?  

Do you think my loaches will eat them? 

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Edited by Maree from Melbourne

On 11/29/2023 at 3:19 PM, Maree from Melbourne said:

Thank you so much Lennie for your reply. I don’t have any shrimp or fry in the tank, and our smallest fish are rummy nose and glolight tetras. Hopefully they are ok.

It’s quite late here in Melbourne, I will try and catch it in the morning.  And am due to do a water change on the weekend (missed last weekend due to illness).

We haven’t added any plants or fish for a few months, so I’m not sure how it came into the tank?  

Do you think my loaches will eat them? 

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Hello again Maree,

I had a similar topic back in the days. I'm sharing it here so maybe it may help answering your questions

If you don't have any baby shrimp or baby fish, the larvae is just a part of your ecosystem. It's likely a type of damselfly, which is like a dragonfly but more slender and delicate, usually. Not sure how different the groups might be where you are (maybe they fly in circles the other way?). The leaf shape of the rear appendages are distinctive for damselfly larvae, I believe. They're actually gills, for respiration (snapping turtles aren't the only things that breathe from their butts). 

You may have acquired the critter via something that was added to the tank, but I believe that in warmer climates it's not uncommon for them to come indoors, and deposit their eggs on the surface of our aquariums. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

• Like 3

Honestly,  I think that is really cool.  That kind of stuff goes on all the time in our 20 gal outdoor wine barrel ponds.  Last year, we watched  the transformation of a  dragon fly larvae to adult. It's was really neat to see the dragon fly unfold it's wings and eventually fly off! :classic_biggrin:

On 11/29/2023 at 11:55 PM, TOtrees said:

If you don't have any baby shrimp or baby fish, the larvae is just a part of your ecosystem. It's likely a type of damselfly, which is like a dragonfly but more slender and delicate, usually. Not sure how different the groups might be where you are (maybe they fly in circles the other way?). The leaf shape of the rear appendages are distinctive for damselfly larvae, I believe. They're actually gills, for respiration (snapping turtles aren't the only things that breathe from their butts). 

You may have acquired the critter via something that was added to the tank, but I believe that in warmer climates it's not uncommon for them to come indoors, and deposit their eggs on the surface of our aquariums. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

Thank you so much TOtrees for your response 

On 11/30/2023 at 2:36 AM, Maree from Melbourne said:

Oh wow! How do you get rid of them? Google tells me to use No Planaria.  Was hoping my yo-yos would eat it! 

No planaria is not going to kill these ans far ans I know but try if you like.  No planaria is shrimp safe.I’d be curious to see if it did work.   At this lifestage they are most similar to shrimp. Anything that kills these will kill everything in your tank. 

I net them out. Using a flashlight when the tank lights are out but room is dim helps. Their eyes shine. 

On 11/30/2023 at 10:43 PM, Guppysnail said:

No planaria is not going to kill these ans far ans I know but try if you like.  No planaria is shrimp safe.I’d be curious to see if it did work.   At this lifestage they are most similar to shrimp. Anything that kills these will kill everything in your tank. 

I net them out. Using a flashlight when the tank lights are out but room is dim helps. Their eyes shine. 

Thank you- I will try and net them out ( I assume there are more than one 🥲)

I definitely don’t want to kill any of my fish so will not use the No Planaria. Thank you for your assistance