Cory eggs turning black

Shawnmrose1983911

I have salt and pepper Cory’s that have been breeding for a while I’ve seen a few babies here and there and have had 1 make go fully grown but my question is I pulled eggs this time when I saw them cause I would like to raise more but not sure what keeps happening to them in the tank so I pulled them they are about 4 days old and have gone from the yellow color when I pulled them to almost all black is that just they baby I’m seeing or are the eggs going bad  TIA

Cory eggs tend to turn an solid white color if they are infertile and grow like a white fuzz if left long enough. Cory eggs do go from yellow to a darker color as the embryo grows and develops. I think you are seeing the eggs develop. A picture would be helpful if you have one?

On 11/15/2023 at 6:00 PM, JE47 said:

Cory eggs tend to turn an solid white color if they are infertile and grow like a white fuzz if left long enough. Cory eggs do go from yellow to a darker color as the embryo grows and develops. I think you are seeing the eggs develop. A picture would be helpful if you have one?

This is the best one I could get but they all look like this one

image.jpg

• Love 1

I’m not certain I’m seeing that right. You may wish to siphon out that fluffy debris if that is what I’m seeing. Airline works as a great vacuum I find that for corydora it eventually causes them fungus and bacterial issues on fins and barbels because they lay in it so much. 

Congratulations he is adorable 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 6:46 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’m not certain I’m seeing that right. You may wish to siphon out that fluffy debris if that is what I’m seeing. Airline works as a great vacuum I find that for corydora it eventually causes them fungus and bacterial issues on fins and barbels because they lay in it so much. 

Congratulations he is adorable 

That is a good idea I was trying to use a turkey barter but I was so afraid I was so afraid I was going to suck him up thanks 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 7:38 AM, Shawnmrose1983911 said:

That is a good idea I was trying to use a turkey barter but I was so afraid I was so afraid I was going to suck him up thanks 

I siphon fry boxes using airline into a Tupperware dish so if I do suck up fry I can easily rescue them. Zip tying the airline to a chopstick and cutting the vacuuming tip at an angle makes the entire process easy. It becomes like vacuuming the living room. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 8:30 AM, Guppysnail said:

I siphon fry boxes using airline into a Tupperware dish so if I do suck up fry I can easily rescue them. Zip tying the airline to a chopstick and cutting the vacuuming tip at an angle makes the entire process easy. It becomes like vacuuming the living room. 

I’m gonna try tonight thank you 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The eggs turning black, it might be a sign of fungus or potential issues. Keep an eye on water conditions and consider using an antifungal treatment if needed. It's also possible the eggs are just developing, but changes in color can be concerning. Monitoring closely and maintaining pristine water quality usually helps. If unsure, consult with experienced breeders or your local fish store for more tailored advice.