Filter recommendation

Scaperoot

I am in the process of setting up a 20 long for a male Betta and some Corydoras. We have 3 other tanks with Bettas, but those have HOB filters. I would like to try an internal filter, since I'm not satisfied with the lack of flow in those tanks. I'm considering the SICCE Shark Adv 400 internal filter, and was wondering if anyone who has had one could share their experience, or steer me towards a different one. Thanks

• Like 1

Hi, I’ve never kept one of those filters. I run sponge filters, they make sense for my set up so if you wanna save some money they’re frikin awesome! You can adjust the flow, especially good for bettas with long fins. I’m sure the SICCE will work out awesome tho. Let us know what you chose, I’d love to see the end result!

If you want some more flow, what I do is I have a powerhead on a timer to come on every few hours to increase flow and break up any dead spots in the tank (at least that’s the idea😂) so you could try that? 
Have a ton of fun setting up your new tank tho!

On 11/8/2023 at 8:43 AM, Scaperoot said:

I'm considering the SICCE Shark Adv 400 internal filter, and was wondering if anyone who has had one could share their experience, or steer me towards a different one. Thanks

I broke mine the first time I tried to clean the sponge. It "still worked" because of the magnets, but it didn't work for too long. They (Sicce) basically obsoleted this design and moved towards the newer one that looks boxy. I would start there and ignore the egg looking one.

That being said, internal hang on aqueon filters have a ton of options as well to look into. Given that you want to have Corydoras with a Betta please keep in mind the temps and lean towards something like a sterbai or false Julii corydoras species.

Check out the 3d printed baffles from GalaxyGlowStudio on Etsy, they can direct your HOBs flow so you get better circulation in the tank. On my 20L I had an AC30 mounted in the back right, with the baffle directing left across the tank. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 12:09 PM, Jack Anderson said:

Hi, I’ve never kept one of those filters. I run sponge filters, they make sense for my set up so if you wanna save some money they’re frikin awesome! You can adjust the flow, especially good for bettas with long fins. I’m sure the SICCE will work out awesome tho. Let us know what you chose, I’d love to see the end result!

If you want some more flow, what I do is I have a powerhead on a timer to come on every few hours to increase flow and break up any dead spots in the tank (at least that’s the idea😂) so you could try that? 
Have a ton of fun setting up your new tank tho!

I'll definitely post a pic when it's set up. Thanks for the ideas🙂

On 11/8/2023 at 12:33 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I broke mine the first time I tried to clean the sponge. It "still worked" because of the magnets, but it didn't work for too long. They (Sicce) basically obsoleted this design and moved towards the newer one that looks boxy. I would start there and ignore the egg looking one.

That being said, internal hang on aqueon filters have a ton of options as well to look into. Given that you want to have Corydoras with a Betta please keep in mind the temps and lean towards something like a sterbai or false Julii corydoras species.

I'll definitely check out what Aqueon has. We have false Julii corydoras in another tank, and they're thriving. They even bred earlier this year, so I'm definitely considering using them again. 

On 11/8/2023 at 12:41 PM, MattyM said:

Check out the 3d printed baffles from GalaxyGlowStudio on Etsy, they can direct your HOBs flow so you get better circulation in the tank. On my 20L I had an AC30 mounted in the back right, with the baffle directing left across the tank. 

That's definitely worth looking into. I always use HOB, but with a longer tank you need a little boost. This could be exactly what I need. Thank you! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I've got 5 of the Sicce Shark ADV filters and I love them (for the most part).  They are extremely easy to service.  I've got mostly the 800, which has two compartments.  This allows me to never have to touch the biological media.  I use floss in the lower section and filter maintenance takes about 30 seconds per week (per filter).

There are some disadvantages, like some build quality issues, and I've found them to be snail killers (I came up with a quick solution to that).

However, for ease of maintenance, there isn't much that can beat the Sicce Shark ADV (the PRO doesn't have quiet the same level, but might be better in other ways).

I also have a Tetra Whisper HOB filter.  Given that the Teta "BioBags" can be had for < $1 each, my strategy is to just replace them every couple of weeks.  This is very quick and goes along with my "extreme laziness" aquarium keeping style. 🙂

Edited by Galabar

On 11/8/2023 at 3:13 PM, Galabar said:

I've got 5 of the Sicce Shark ADV filters and I love them (for the most part).  They are extremely easy to service.  I've got mostly the 800, which has two compartments.  This allows me to never have to touch the biological media.  I use floss in the lower section and filter maintenance takes about 30 seconds per week (per filter).

There are some disadvantages, like some build quality issues, and I've found them to be snail killers (I came up with a quick solution to that).

However, for ease of maintenance, there isn't much that can beat the Sicce Shark ADV (the PRO doesn't have quiet the same level, but might be better in other ways).

I also have a Tetra Whisper HOB filter.  Given that the Teta "BioBags" can be had for < $1 each, my strategy is to just replace them every couple of weeks.  This is very quick and goes along with my "extreme laziness" aquarium keeping style. 🙂

Curious when yu say ease of maintanence. Is it easy to take the filter off the suction cups and reattach easily? 

On 11/8/2023 at 3:13 PM, Galabar said:

Curious what you decide to get. I have a 20 long and had an aquaclear HOB that I swapped out for a sponge filter. I also have a 20 long and I dont think the sponge filter was enough. I got a hygger internal filter. It is a pia to do maintanance on so I am looking for another solution on my 20 long

On 11/8/2023 at 12:27 PM, Lilred said:

Curious when yu say ease of maintanence. Is it easy to take the filter off the suction cups and reattach easily? 

Curious what you decide to get. I have a 20 long and had an aquaclear HOB that I swapped out for a sponge filter. I also have a 20 long and I dont think the sponge filter was enough. I got a hygger internal filter. It is a pia to do maintanance on so I am looking for another solution on my 20 long

The Sicce Shark ADV (and PRO) uses magnets between the sections.  So, you just remove the bottom section, replace the floss (or squeeze out the sponge that comes with it), and pop it back on.  It literally takes seconds. 🙂

The upper compartment (with bio media) and power head remain in the tank, and you don't even have to shut the unit off.

For the Whisper BioBag, you just take out the bag, swap the plastic frame to a new BioBag and put it back in.  I've actually got some ceramic media in the BioBag.  So, it takes a little longer as I swap that over.

Edited by Galabar

I have a 20 long with mainly guppies and fry. Its a heavily planted tank. I have a Hygger double sponge filter in the middle of my 20 long and I am looking for something in the left corner. Right now I have the Hygger internal filter which is a pia. You have to remove the whole thing to replace media. The Sicce sounds so much easier. I am still deciding if I should try another HOB like the Tidal 55, add another sponge filter from ACOOP, or try this Sicce. 

On 11/8/2023 at 12:55 PM, Lilred said:

I have a 20 long with mainly guppies and fry. Its a heavily planted tank. I have a Hygger double sponge filter in the middle of my 20 long and I am looking for something in the left corner. Right now I have the Hygger internal filter which is a pia. You have to remove the whole thing to replace media. The Sicce sounds so much easier. I am still deciding if I should try another HOB like the Tidal 55, add another sponge filter from ACOOP, or try this Sicce. 

If you've got the biological side of things working with the sponge filter, I'd recommend the Sicce Shark ADV 400.  It has lower flow and a single compartment.  You can go with either a sponge or floss.  With a sponge, you'd need to squeeze it out when cleaning.  However, it could replace your Hygger sponge filter.  With floss, it will really polish the water and be easy to clean.  However, it won't provide biological filtration (like the 800 would with two compartments).

Now, I'm not saying that sponge filters are bad.  However, draining enough water from the tank for squeezing, maybe unplugging your heater if you take out a certain amount of water, getting the Ziplock bag to take out the sponge filter (so that the mulm doesn't get back into your tank), and finally squeezing the sponge filter out in the water (and replacing new water in the tank as well as plugging the heater back in) can take (maybe) 5 minutes.  That's just to long (and too many steps) for a lazy aquarist like me. 🙂

Edited by Galabar

On 11/8/2023 at 4:01 PM, Galabar said:

If you've got the biological side of things working with the sponge filter, I'd recommend the Sicce Shark ADV 400.  It has lower flow and a single compartment.  You can go with either a sponge or floss.  With a sponge, you'd need to squeeze it out when cleaning.  However, it could replace your Hygger sponge filter.  With floss, it will really polish the water and be easy to clean.  However, it won't provide biological filtration (like the 800 would with two compartments).

I like the idea of the 2 compartments. Just wondering if the 800 would be too strong for the fry

On 11/8/2023 at 12:44 PM, Galabar said:

The Sicce Shark ADV (and PRO) uses magnets between the sections.  So, you just remove the bottom section, replace the floss (or squeeze out the sponge that comes with it), and pop it back on.  It literally takes seconds. 🙂

Pro is a million times better for me. My issue with the egg one / ADV is that the clips are pretty tight and cold tanks don't help to get them off and the egg shape is seriously unfriendly for the hands to get things open intuitively.

I know you have had great success with them. I love my ziss bubble bios for similar ease and awesomeness, but I would lean way harder into the newer versions if you go that route. And as it's a sicce, great overall pumps and longevity.

I have two Fluval U series internal filters and pretty happy with them. Very quiet and have a pretty good flow. Internal filters dirty up rather quickly and you will have to perform maintenance every other water change. I like the fact that the Fluval U series can detach from the suction cups mount rather than having to detach the suction cups from the glass when you want to take it out for maintenance.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 12:41 PM, MattyM said:

I ended up setting up an aqua clear HOB filter, and I ordered a baffle that should fit perfectly when it arrives. Thanks again! 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2023 at 10:51 AM, Scaperoot said:

I ended up setting up an aqua clear HOB filter, and I ordered a baffle that should fit perfectly when it arrives. Thanks again! 

NP - great seller. If you have a lid, you might need to let him know so that the baffle fits under it. 

I've had  a Sicce Shark pro 500 in my 20 long for a couple of months now.

I did consider the 700 but glad I didn't as it would have been a squeeze in my tank.

So far I am really liking the Pro 500, I use the spray bar feature and only have the flow set to around 50% as any more seems a bit much for my fish.

I cut the central sponge to make some space for ceramic media from my old filter and I managed to fit a decent amount in.

I have serviced it twice and it was a breeze compared to my old filter. The flow has never noticeably slowed however although the sponges had definitely picked up plenty of gunk. 

The noise produced is absolutely minimal in my experience.

My only issue with it is that it is definitely quite bulky. I have never tried the normal outlet or venturi purely as I am more than happy with the spray bar.