How to go about finding hobbyist bred fish locally?

Kit Craft

As the title says, how do you locate locally bred fish? I am going to assume joining a club is going to be the resounding answer. I looked on the club locater, nothing is what I'd call close, lol. I've been into fish keeping for years, on and off, but never got past the local fish store stage. Sadly, those don't exist in this area anymore. Petco, sure. For chickens and such I just use the pegboard at the local feed mill, lol. I did the online thing twice now and it makes me anxious plus it is getting cold. 

Anyway, it seems a bit on the difficult side. Because not only do you have to locate someone local, but they have to breed what you are interested in. 

Google seems to think that the other side of the state is my local area, lol. 

Find your local (or as close to your area) club in BAND app. Also search for aquarium/ fish/ tropical/ freshwater etc and your city state on Band app. 

Many small hobbyists that are to far from clubs advertise their home grown fish on the clubs band page. 

As always look at who/ where you are buying from. Scammers exist everywhere. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 12:17 PM, Guppysnail said:

Find your local (or as close to your area) club in BAND app. Also search for aquarium/ fish/ tropical/ freshwater etc and your city state on Band app. 

Many small hobbyists that are to far from clubs advertise their home grown fish on the clubs band page. 

I've never heard of it, I'll check it out, thank you. Google always leads me to Pittsburgh and while I am in PA I am closer to the OH side of things. I see you are in PA as well, but on the other side of the state, lol. 

Edited by Kit Craft
typo

On 10/31/2023 at 12:25 PM, Kit Craft said:

I've never heard of it, I'll check it out, thank you. Google always leads me to Pittsburgh and while I am in PA I am closer to the OH side of things. I see you are in PA as well, but on the other side of the state, lol. 

I’ll message you in a bit today. I’m in pa. TeeJay and I can hook you up with the appropriate sites on the band app. I’m near York

What fish are you looking for

• Like 1

Being an expat in Spain I have struggled with the same. I stumbled on an add one day in the local Craigslist for a WhatsApp group for pleco breeders and I joined. That gave me access to a network of people raffling and selling/trading fish, plants etc. Also Facebook would be a good one to check and see if there is anything in your area. Perhaps not a formal club but a more informal group of people and enthusiasts. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 12:48 PM, Guppysnail said:

I’ll message you in a bit today. I’m in pa. TeeJay and I can hook you up with the appropriate sites on the band app. I’m near York

What fish are you looking for

I'm not sure yet, just being proactive. Though the Least Killi in your thread are interesting. But I am on a snail kick at the moment. 

On 10/31/2023 at 12:53 PM, Ruud said:

Being an expat in Spain I have struggled with the same. I stumbled on an add one day in the local Craigslist for a WhatsApp group for pleco breeders and I joined. That gave me access to a network of people raffling and selling/trading fish, plants etc. Also Facebook would be a good one to check and see if there is anything in your area. Perhaps not a formal club but a more informal group of people and enthusiasts. 

Yeah, a FB group is probably a good idea too.

As an aside, I was an expat in Spain for the better half of a decade. Alicante. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 1:12 PM, Ruud said:

Did you keep fish in Alicante? I am 20mins north of Barcelona.... been here 9 years, originally from Netherlands. 

No, at the time our flat was pretty small and I was in my 20's so I was always on the go. I had tanks before I went to Spain and set up new ones as soon as I got back though. 

• Like 1

Sounds familiar, I only got back to fish keeping after around 4 years in Spain, when I found myself more settled again. Started with a 100L tank and now having 5 tanks.

Anyway, I hope you find access to local breeders. I find part of the hobby is to be in touch with likeminded people, and whilst this board is fun there is no replacement for having people close by. Something I miss. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 2:32 PM, Ruud said:

Sounds familiar, I only got back to fish keeping after around 4 years in Spain, when I found myself more settled again. Started with a 100L tank and now having 5 tanks.

Anyway, I hope you find access to local breeders. I find part of the hobby is to be in touch with likeminded people, and whilst this board is fun there is no replacement for having people close by. Something I miss. 

Thank you and yes, I totally get that. I have had a number of hobbies over the years (some I still do) that allowed for going to events and swaps. However, I always go into those hobbies through other people, so they already knew where these places were. I don't really know anyone else, currently, into fish keeping. Getting the chance to actually meet with people and exchange experiences is quite nice. I think it gives both them and you a better understanding of their experience level and what they might be looking for. Having similar water can't hurt. Getting plant suggestions for said fish/invert that they have had success with etc. 

On 10/31/2023 at 11:55 AM, Kit Craft said:

I'm not sure yet, just being proactive. . . 

When you decide you might want to post about it here.  There are a number of members here who raise and ship fish and shrimp.  I can't promise you won't get scammed through this or a similar forum, but I'd be surprised if it happened.  I've had dozens of transactions, both buying and selling, and haven't had a really bad experience.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
Posted (edited)

To find locally bred fish, you can start by joining a fishkeeping club, but if there aren't any nearby, it can be tough. You might not have luck with Google either, as it might think places far away are local. Since you're not into online shopping and it's getting chilly, that's not an option. Maybe you can ask around at pet stores like Petco, or check out community boards at places like feed mills. Remember, it's not just about finding someone local but also finding someone who breeds the fish you're interested in. Good luck!

Edited by lewismoreno