Switching Water Sources

John Collins

I've been mixing my own water with Seachem Equilbrium, Acid Buffer, and Alkaline Buffer added to RO water. I recently learned that the local fish store uses 1/2 Tap and 1/2 RO. I want to switch to that. The water in my aquarium has a higher PH and a higher KH than the new water that is 1/2 Tap and 1/2 RO. Any ideas of how to do this with minimum damage to my plants?

On 10/31/2023 at 12:05 AM, Galabar said:

What are the KH and GH measurements for your top water?

I would say GH is 300+ ppm and KH is about 80 ppm. I'm not good at reading test strips, so I'm also going to post pictures. I'm posting my tank water and 1/2 tap and 1/2 RO water also.

ACB6CDCC-EA8C-4D96-B8DC-54586D44065A_1_201_a.jpeg.ecccff893d610bcd2c40581beac597a2.jpegA623ADF8-7B77-4EB6-B952-F6C7B93D041C_1_201_a.jpeg.c622dc493a78564af50b6d8d59f54650.jpeg954CA9ED-E6BB-4E3B-B46B-3511131A3915_1_201_a.jpeg.68fa060500d63cdba1a9b72ef75686d6.jpeg

Edited by John Collins

Looks like 1/2 tap 1/2 ro is a safe bet! Definitely brought your gh into more manageable territory for certain plants and animals. 

I would just start using 1/2 ro 1/2 tap in your water changes, your kh might need some buffering but I have similar parameters to yours and my plants are thriving, so just monitor kh and adjust if test strip shows yellow close to water change time

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2023 at 9:24 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Looks like 1/2 tap 1/2 ro is a safe bet! Definitely brought your gh into more manageable territory for certain plants and animals. 

I would just start using 1/2 ro 1/2 tap in your water changes, your kh might need some buffering but I have similar parameters to yours and my plants are thriving, so just monitor kh and adjust if test strip shows yellow close to water change time

Thank you! What would you suggest to adjust the KH if the test strip goes yellow? Crushed Coral in the filter, Alkaline and Acid Buffer mixed into the water being added, or something else? 

On 10/31/2023 at 7:55 AM, John Collins said:

Thank you! What would you suggest to adjust the KH if the test strip goes yellow? Crushed Coral in the filter, Alkaline and Acid Buffer mixed into the water being added, or something else? 

Carbonate salts. I think seachem alkaline buffer has this but you can find them readily at any major pet store if you don’t have it on hand

• Thanks 1

I would do everything possible to avoid "making" your own water with buffers. And unless your water is terrible or your specific types of fish are extremely sensitive outside of specific parameters, I don't think it's necessary. Yes to crushed coral, if you kh and/or ph start to get low. But that's all. 

Devil's advocate, what problems are you experiencing with plain unmodified tap water? A lot of fish stores will get you hooked on buffers without it actually being required/necessary. Sad but true. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 10:31 AM, TOtrees said:

I would do everything possible to avoid "making" your own water with buffers. And unless your water is terrible or your specific types of fish are extremely sensitive outside of specific parameters, I don't think it's necessary. Yes to crushed coral, if you kh and/or ph start to get low. But that's all. 

Devil's advocate, what problems are you experiencing with plain unmodified tap water? A lot of fish stores will get you hooked on buffers without it actually being required/necessary. Sad but true. 

Started mixing because the old test kit showed it coming out of the tap with a PH of more than 8.8. It was actually the local pet store that cued me into the solution of using 1/2 RO and 1/2 tap (which will be cheaper), my question was about the transition from the water I've been making (and want to get away from) and to the pet stores recommendation.