Enough QT time and how to do it right

IsisP

What is the best time to quarantine? I have asked in too many blogs and got so confused. I tried too many methods like the Med trio from Aquarium Coop, but I saw it makes my QT tank cloudy or heavy and my fish look slow-moving. And I personally think that putting a bomb on medications just stresses them too much. 

And asking on many blogs I have learned that in this hobby, EVERYBODY HAS ITS OWN METHOD. haha, and that is even more confusing! An employee at an aquarium store told me he doesn't quarantine!  The Internet has way more methods, some of them last a week using salt, others 4 weeks using the med trio for one week, and other medicines for the rest of the time.

What is the best way to ensure my new fish's health and display tank? thank you so much. I would like to keep guppies, is there a special quarantine method for each fish species?

On 10/27/2023 at 1:00 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

There’s people like @Cory who quarantine for months on end, but I usually quarantine for about 2 weeks, unless there’s some disease that turns up. 

Do you know how much time a disease starts appearing maybe? What I've read is that guppies are prone to get worms, so it's a common practice always de-worm new arrivals..

And thank you for your help 😊

• Like 1

What I do is quarantine for a minimum of 4 weeks  and monitor if any fish show symptoms during that time  I treat with the appropriate medication and start the quarantine period again for another 4 weeks from  the last symptoms  

On 10/27/2023 at 7:32 PM, Colu said:

What I do is quarantine for a minimum of 4 weeks  and monitor if any fish show symptoms during that time  I treat with the appropriate medication and start the quarantine period again for another 4 weeks from  the last symptoms  

So you just start medicating if you see any symptoms?

On 10/27/2023 at 9:07 PM, Colu said:

Yes it's the way I would have quarantine for 20 plus years worked well for me 

And it's fine not to cycle the tank? mine isn't because some medicine would kill beneficial bacteria. I think I'll observe my new fish and medicate if necessary, thank you so much!

On 10/28/2023 at 3:32 AM, IsisP said:

And it's fine not to cycle the tank? mine isn't because some medicine would kill beneficial bacteria. I think I'll observe my new fish and medicate if necessary, thank you so much!

If your quarantine tank isn't cycled you can have an extra sponge filter running in your main to add to your quarantine tank  that's what I do than I can add some cycle media to quarantine tank I would feed a small amount once a day or every other day and keep a very close eye on your water parameters if you detect any ammonia or nitrite do a large water change and add a double dose of prime to help detoxify any ammonia or nitrite 

Edited by Colu

Guppies are pretty hardy, so as long as they don’t show any symptoms at the store, they should be good to go. I’ve still got one of my 1st generation of fry in my display tank after 4 years! 

On 10/28/2023 at 4:32 AM, IsisP said: