Ich-X + Prazipro together?

awong918

Can I dose both at the same time?

I thought my betta had velvet. He has some gold spots on his gill plate. But after 1 day of dosing Ich-X (which I heard is really effective for velvet), he has not seen any improvement. He is still flashing on decorations.
Now I'm thinking he has flukes. Can I medicate the tank with Prazipro even though there's likely some Ich-X in the tank still? If not, how long until the Ich-X breaks down? I can do at most a 30% water change because my tap water has very different pH from my tank's, so any more than that I'm afraid will shock my fish.

On 10/26/2023 at 10:13 PM, awong918 said:
Can I dose both at the same time?

I thought my betta had velvet. He has some gold spots on his gill plate. But after 1 day of dosing Ich-X (which I heard is really effective for velvet), he has not seen any improvement. He is still flashing on decorations.
Now I'm thinking he has flukes. Can I medicate the tank with Prazipro even though there's likely some Ich-X in the tank still? If not, how long until the Ich-X breaks down? I can do at most a 30% water change because my tap water has very different pH from my tank's, so any more than that I'm afraid will shock my fish.

What are your water parameters can you take a picture of the sick fish it will help with a diagnosis and he's a picture of betta with velvet for comparison does it look like this 

1000000142.png

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 2:41 PM, Colu said:

What are your water parameters can you take a picture of the sick fish it will help with a diagnosis and he's a picture of betta with velvet for comparison does it look like this 

1000000142.png

Hey, thanks for commenting.

The parameter are as follows: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate below 5ppm, pH 7.5-7.6, gH 130ppm, kH 40-50 ppm

Here are some pictures I took of him. If I look closely, I can make out some gold spots on his gills, though I'm not sure if it's actually velvet or his natural coloration or something else.

IMG_0740.jpg.7738af53e2ccf4939352dda3e9027e61.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg.906da7c62baf26948b87b54471d2f999.jpg

On 10/26/2023 at 2:58 PM, Colu said:

That looks more like natural colouring to me any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy how often is he flashing  @awong918

He's always breathed a little heavy I think, I haven't seen enough bettas to tell if this is considered heavy though. Here's a video: https://streamable.com/xi840e

He doesn't hang near the surface much, mostly stays at the bottom. He's been very lethargic compared to a month ago. He stays at the bottom a lot, hiding underneath his catappa leaf or his coconut cave hideout. He now spits out pellets (even soaked) and will only take live scuds or freeze-dried bloodworms. I spoke too soon when I said Ich-x didn't seem to help though. He's hiding a lot less today, but his fins are still clamped most of the time, arguably more so than previously. And he's still flashing on objects. Each day I observe him for 30min to an hour, and in that time he would flash on decorations once or twice, but every time he does it, it would be a rapid succession of 2-5 flashes. He sometimes does it even "out of the blue" when there's no surface to rub on.

I noticed today he has a dark spot on his head. Not sure if it's a bruise from hitting something while flashing, or if it's an infection.

IMG_0753.jpg.bcc68e358a7e7fc937d3490225a116a8.jpg

Edited by awong918

On 10/26/2023 at 3:47 PM, Colu said:

What I would do is treat with prazipro once every two weeks for 3 full course of treatment so treat on week 1 week 3 week 5 with prazipro I would stop treating with ick X for now @awong918

Alright, I'll do that. Could the presence of Ich-X that's still in the tank cause any issues with Prazipro? I can maybe do a 40-50% water change if I do it slowly and carefully.

And thank you so much for your time

Edited by awong918

On 10/27/2023 at 12:02 AM, awong918 said:

Alright, I'll do that. Could the presence of Ich-X that's still in the tank cause any issues with Prazipro? I can maybe do a 40-50% water change if I do it slowly and carefully.

And thank you so much for your time

I would do a large water change then you can run active carbon for 24hr to remove any remaining medication then dose the prazipro 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1