Lexi B

pH 8

Nitrates 5-10

Hardness 4

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

KH/Buffer 7

Water Temperature  78

He's already been out through one round of maracyn and aquarium salt. Water changes weekly. Issue cropped up about 2 weeks ago. I'm not really sure what this even is, so I'm not entirely certain how to handle it. I assumed it was a fungus of some kind originally. 

These are the clearest images. His tank has had some on and off algae issues recently, I don't know if that could cause this?

PXL_20231026_141552617.jpg

PXL_20231026_141521967.jpg

PXL_20231026_141525397.jpg

Yeah the pH has always been really basic in his tank, I think a result of his fluval stratum.

I asked about it a year or two ago, seemed like consensus was that it was fine so long as it was stable. 

On 10/26/2023 at 8:30 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

pH is pretty high, but I'd expect that the swollen lip could come from a a bacterial infection? @Colu

• Like 1

Looks like  localise swelling of the tissue could be caused by a bacterial infection  an injury causing inflammation of the tissue what I would do is treat with maracyn2 active ingredient minocycline also has anti-inflammatory properties it will help reduce some of the swelling and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons @Lexi B

On 10/26/2023 at 10:26 AM, Colu said:

Looks like  localise swelling of the tissue could be caused by a bacterial infection  an injury causing inflammation of the tissue what I would do is treat with maracyn2 active ingredient minocycline also has anti-inflammatory properties it will help reduce some of the swelling and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons @Lexi B

Thanks. Salt didn't seem to do anything, but Ill continue to maintain the concentration while I run through maracyn 2. At the very least, the issue hasn't worsened so there's that. 

On 10/26/2023 at 6:58 PM, Lexi B said:

Thanks. Salt didn't seem to do anything, but Ill continue to maintain the concentration while I run through maracyn 2. At the very least, the issue hasn't worsened so there's that. 

The salt helps to draw out some of the inflammation 

On 10/26/2023 at 11:08 AM, Colu said:

The salt helps to draw out some of the inflammation 

Sounds good. I actually just saw online that a handful of different sources think maracyn 2 may be a bad pairing with the sore on his head? Do you generally have the same opinion on that situation? 

On 10/26/2023 at 7:15 PM, Lexi B said:

Sounds good. I actually just saw online that a handful of different sources think maracyn 2 may be a bad pairing with the sore on his head? Do you generally have the same opinion on that situation? 

Maracyn2 is an effective broad spectrum antibiotic with the anti-inflammatory properties it very good treatment option for your Betta with the symptoms it's showing