Fish Bowls

On 10/18/2023 at 9:53 PM, Tropicalfishkeeping201 said:

Hello fish-keepers,

I've seen hobbyists use fish bowls to use it as a planted aquarium but I've been having a hard time finding a suitable stable one. I wanted to know if anyone here has used fish bowls and where did you purchase it? 

Thank you in advance

I believe the 12 inch bubble vase, by Libbey, at Walmart holds 3 gallons. They are like $13. Around 5mm thick.  They are in the crafts section.

Edited by Kit Craft
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2023 at 3:22 AM, Pepere said:

Fluval used to have something very similar to this that was about this size called the bio-orb. They were very cool but not worth the $149-229 they sold it for. My coworker got some ‘damaged’ ones and used them as nightstand lights and tetra fry grow out tanks.

I think they were discontinued almost ten years ago, but if you can thrift or find a used one they are very beautiful tanks and magnify the contents, making if ideal for nano fish

edit: looks like another brand bought the patent? And it’s called biOrb? 

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2023 at 7:42 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Fluval used to have something very similar to this that was about this size called the bio-orb. They were very cool but not worth the $149-229 they sold it for. My coworker got some ‘damaged’ ones and used them as nightstand lights and tetra fry grow out tanks.

I think they were discontinued almost ten years ago, but if you can thrift or find a used one they are very beautiful tanks and magnify the contents, making if ideal for nano fish

edit: looks like another brand bought the patent? And it’s called biOrb? 

Thank you! Going to check it out @Biotope Biologist

On 10/19/2023 at 3:22 AM, Pepere said:

Do you have a heater inside the bowl? I'm asking because I was planning on using it temporarily as a planted aquarium but than maybe after a few months add a few inhabitants and I wanted to make sure the glass won't crack if this bowl is heated.