Salmon egg hatching

Aguinaga

At work, someone came across salmon eggs and want to hatch them for display and then release them. I noticed so many things wrong going on, and trying to be a voice to help them. They put the eggs in a 10 gallon tank with a tiny HOB filter and I don’t believe any of it is cycled. Does anyone have experience that cares to pass on some knowledge?

Just going start by saying that's most likely illegal without permits from Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Do they know if the eggs are fertilized?

Do they know the exact spot they collected them?

In Washington State there is a salmon in the schools program where they'll raise a batch of salmon up until they are smelt. When they do that it's normally a 55 gallon bare bottom tank.

They probably also need to be kept pretty cool and well aerated

• Like 3

On 10/13/2023 at 4:43 PM, Aguinaga said:

At work, someone came across salmon eggs and want to hatch them for display and then release them. I noticed so many things wrong going on, and trying to be a voice to help them. They put the eggs in a 10 gallon tank with a tiny HOB filter and I don’t believe any of it is cycled. Does anyone have experience that cares to pass on some knowledge?

Next time you're at work, bring in a can of caviar and ask your co-worker to kindly add that to their tank and notify you when it's time to collect your fry.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Haha 1

If salmon are native to your area then there's likely a Salmon in the classroom type program. I know here in Washington the local club (GSAS) has people who volunteer to help.

I think your best bet would be to reach out to your local club and see if there is a similar program in your area which has people who do that. They would definitely know the process. It may involve slowly increasing salinity

Edited by Schuyler
  • Like 1

The tank being uncycled probably isn't an issue with eggs. They're not likely to be producing large amounts of ammonia. The number of eggs could be an issue. One to ten eggs and there's probably not going to be an immediate problem. A thousand eggs could be an issue. Fry are small so the tank will probably do a fish-in cycle with the bacterial colony growing with the fry. Assuming there's a limited number of fry. Once again, the number matters.

On 10/13/2023 at 1:43 PM, Aguinaga said:

Even working at a state agency salmon have a ton of federal protections. 

But even if you were to attempt such a thing you will not have success unfortunately. Salmon eggs need to be kept in a flat tray with a false bottom having about 5 gallons per minute flowing both overtop and underneath the eggs. Otherwise they will fungus over and die. If you do that and manage to successfully hatch them you will have yolks for about 2 weeks. 

Then you need to start feeding them live foods from the river/stream. Lamprey larvae, dragonfly nymphs, amphipods, and other crustaceans can be found by flipping rocks. Make sure to put them back exactly as you found them. It will take 6 months for them to become 6” to which it’s safe enough to release them to their natal stream.

I am not sure which salmon species, but if you are west coast DO NOT release Atlantic salmon, we already had one environmental disaster with them. I have worked with state fisheries numerous times. Rearing salmon is very expensive and takes the constant attention of state, federal, and tribal biologists. I am not trying to come down like a hammer, but just know the reality of this fish.

• Like 4

So got more information. The lead person teamed up with ODFW on the project. I was informed they got everything they need and don’t need my help. I’m still thinking it’s not the best set up, but I’ve only been jumped in hard since January. I’ll include a photo of the set up. They will release the fry once ODFW emails them where to release them at. 

IMG_5367.jpeg

IMG_5366.jpeg

• Like 1