Anyone have Buce Brownie Ghost?

nic

I made a couple Petco plant impulse buys. One is Buce brownie ghost. The leaves are tiny and curly. I got a few small pieces in the tissue culture cup. I've found some pics online so I know it won't stay like that once it puts out submersed leaves.

I'm wondering how big the plant will get and how fast or slow? I'm trying to figure out where to place the pieces in my tank or if it won't be a good fit for me.

• Love 1

Buces are always pretty slow growing compared to other plants.  Brownie ghost is fairly average size and growth rate for Buces.  They like enough flow to keep stuff from settling on their leaves but it’s too much flow if they won’t stay glued to wood.  😆 They like on the high side of low light, more a medium light really, to get the best color.  But your water params better be on point if you do “medium” light with a Buce or you’ll end up with algae.  A bit lower light they will still do well but might not get as intense leaf color as with more light.  Size wise, leaves end up about 1.5 cm I think, plant will sprawl a long ways if it likes your conditions and they do tend to grow upward off the wood or rock where they’re attached.  They hold better and tighter on wood than rock, usually.  The plant probably won’t get more than about 2”-3” off the hardscape if it’s clinging tight but can grow much “taller” if it’s growing up away from the hardscape.

• Like 1

@Odd Duck Thanks. I do have lower light. Not sure what end of the low light it's set at. Some other plants I have are anubias and crypts. I do believe I have some type of algae on some of the leaves, maybe green spot. This is my first Buce. I like the color of brownie ghost compared to everything else that's the same green.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 9:06 PM, Odd Duck said:

Buces usually grow just a bit slower than Anubias for me.  I don’t think I have “the touch” for Buces.  Some do well, some don’t, even in the same tank.

Ugh. Sounds like Anubias for me. I have one that has grown decent and 2 others I don't think have grown at all.