New Betta issue

Supermassive

On 1/21/2024 at 3:41 PM, Supermassive said:

@Colu I think another problem is coming up with my betta. Yesterday I saw him sorta thrash again. He only did it once that I noticed. I watched him closely the rest of the day and didn't see him do it again so I figured it was just random. But this morning I woke up and noticed a small white spot on his left ventral fin about 1-2mm so now I'm concerned there actually is an issue. I also noticed there is like a white string hanging off the spot.

Can you tell what this might be or does it need more time?

20240121_1010381.jpg.7a3f96c08a928f8ce43e64c22636eff3.jpg20240121_1015301.thumb.jpg.c2df12aa72baf5b3857808a229ffb22a.jpg20240121_1013391.thumb.jpg.1b62c6c467259917c768187c3a647d37.jpg20240121_1013431.thumb.jpg.4c2936cd80e0d0aaab770b657f396fa1.jpg

Could be and injury that's caused a small lump to develop possible cyst what I would do is monitor for another week then give an update 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2024 at 1:44 PM, Bigdog99 said:

What are you feeding him? What size tank is he in? What kind of filter does he have? Might just need more time…

The top of this post is from soon after I originally got him around September. The bottom is a new issue that just came up. Hes been doing very well in the tank since the end of November up until this thing now.

I feed him a mix of 3 different betta pellets. Two different Northfin betta pellets and some Aqueon betta formula pellets that were recommended to me by someone on the forum. I mix them together in a small container and feed him 6-8 pellets twice a day. They're all 1mm. I also feed frozen brine shrimp and blood worms once a week or so. Its a 10G tank. AC20 filter turned all the way down. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 2:21 PM, Supermassive said:

The top of this post is from soon after I originally got him around September. The bottom is a new issue that just came up. Hes been doing very well in the tank since the end of November up until this thing now.

I feed him a mix of 3 different betta pellets. Two different Northfin betta pellets and some Aqueon betta formula pellets that were recommended to me by someone on the forum. I mix them together in a small container and feed him 6-8 pellets twice a day. They're all 1mm. I also feed frozen brine shrimp and blood worms once a week or so. Its a 10G tank. AC20 filter turned all the way down. 

You might want to feed him some bloodworms or daphnia for a even better diet. I know how feels when your betta is sick…my betta right is dying I think and I have done EVERYTHING I could but he doesn’t eat past 3 hours won’t come out of his cave and now….😢I can’t do anything about it. His paremeters are good to!😔

• Sad 1

On 1/21/2024 at 4:21 PM, Bigdog99 said:

You might want to feed him some bloodworms or daphnia for a even better diet.

I feed him frozen bloodworms. I haven't looked much into cultivating live foods. I only have a couple tanks with fish so idk if it would be worth it for me currently.

On 1/21/2024 at 4:21 PM, Bigdog99 said:

I know how feels when your betta is sick…my betta right is dying I think and I have done EVERYTHING I could but he doesn’t eat past 3 hours won’t come out of his cave and now….😢I can’t do anything about it. His paremeters are good to!😔

Yeah it really does hurt. I'm really sorry your betta is struggling. 😢 My previous betta, my first fish, passed around August this year. I only had him for around 4 months. I really tried to do everything right but couldn't save him. I took it pretty hard.

• Sad 1

On 1/21/2024 at 5:06 PM, Supermassive said:

I feed him frozen bloodworms. I haven't looked much into cultivating live foods. I only have a couple tanks with fish so idk if it would be worth it for me currently.

Yeah it really does hurt. I'm really sorry your betta is struggling. 😢 My previous betta, my first fish, passed around August this year. I only had him for around 4 months. I really tried to do everything right but couldn't save him. I took it pretty hard.

Yes that is fine just asking abowaht u were feeding him. My betta is dying now and I can’t do anything about him so it hurts…😕 He has been with me for a couple of months now…like 9 or so.

• Sad 1

On 1/21/2024 at 8:04 PM, Bigdog99 said:

Yes that is fine just asking abowaht u were feeding him. My betta is dying now and I can’t do anything about him so it hurts…😕 He has been with me for a couple of months now…like 9 or so.

When my previous betta died I thought it was my fault. The more I've learned the more I think he was just old when I got him. I suspect your betta was also older when you got him and there's not really anything you could have done to prevent this. I'm not an expert though.

The only advice I can give is to stick with shortfin bettas. From what I've read and heard they tend to be healthier. And if you must get a longfin betta I would pick one that is on the smaller side so you know its not that old.

• Sad 1

On 1/21/2024 at 8:43 PM, Supermassive said:

When my previous betta died I thought it was my fault. The more I've learned the more I think he was just old when I got him. I suspect your betta was also older when you got him and there's not really anything you could have done to prevent this. I'm not an expert though.

The only advice I can give is to stick with shortfin bettas. From what I've read and heard they tend to be healthier. And if you must get a longfin betta I would pick one that is on the smaller side so you know its not that old.

True he is still hanging on somehow….but still no way he will make it…🥺

Edited by Bigdog99
  • Sad 1

On 1/22/2024 at 11:38 AM, Supermassive said:

@Colu It was a cyst. It ruptured yesterday. The wound looks good today. I can barely see it.

Is that fairly common for an injury or could it indicate poor water quality or some other issue?

@Supermassive,this can happen by,poor water quality,or lack of nutrition and not varied diet. This is fairly common but not SUPER SUPER common…

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 12:05 PM, Bigdog99 said:

this can happen by,poor water quality,or lack of nutrition and not varied diet. This is fairly common but not SUPER SUPER common

I change about 40% water every week and I think he has a decent diet.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 6:02 PM, Supermassive said:

I change about 40% water every week and I think he has a decent diet.

40% change once a week fine as your water parameters at the start of the post are fine  diet fine feeding a selection of pellets and frozen so I don't think that's the causes sometime fish develop cyst for no apparent reason  I would just monitor 

• Like 2

On 1/22/2024 at 2:28 PM, Colu said:

40% change once a week fine as your water parameters at the start of the post are fine  diet fine feeding a selection of pellets and frozen so I don't think that's the causes sometime fish develop cyst for no apparent reason  I would just monitor 

@SupermassiveYes he should recover in a couple days or weeks u just don’t know what will happen with these bettas!🙂

Edited by Bigdog99
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Colu The little cist on his fin cleared up and seemed to heal fine but I'm still seeing some flashing/thrashing. I thought I saw him do it once or twice in the past week but today I've definitely seen him do it multiple times and it was quite aggressive. I think he might have another parasite but I'm not sure. Do fish ever flash/thrash for other reasons besides a parasite?

On 2/4/2024 at 8:51 PM, Supermassive said:

@Colu The little cist on his fin cleared up and seemed to heal fine but I'm still seeing some flashing/thrashing. I thought I saw him do it once or twice in the past week but today I've definitely seen him do it multiple times and it was quite aggressive. I think he might have another parasite but I'm not sure. Do fish ever flash/thrash for other reasons besides a parasite?

Fish can flash through poor water quality such as high levels of ammonia or chlorine in your water if you don't use a dechlorinator    it's not necessary a parasitic infections 

On 2/4/2024 at 4:38 PM, Supermassive said:

@Colu I use prime on my tap water. My tank should be well cycled too. I also do large weekly water changes. I ran out of ammonia test but I am getting more on Tuesday.  

How is it going on betta?

Just came to get a update. Haven’t read this yet

On 2/4/2024 at 9:38 PM, Supermassive said:

@Colu I use prime on my tap water. My tank should be well cycled too. I also do large weekly water changes. I ran out of ammonia test but I am getting more on Tuesday.  

Occasional flashing once or twice a week is less likely to be a parasitic infections if he doing multiple times a day your more likely to be dealing with a parasitic infections 

On 2/4/2024 at 4:47 PM, Colu said:

Occasional flashing once or twice a week is less likely to be a parasitic infections if he doing multiple times a day your more likely to be dealing with a parasitic infections

After I treated him with the paracleanse I didn't see him doing it at all. Its only been recently in the past few weeks or so which is why I'm a bit concerned. I did clean my filter last week so maybe that got a bit of ammonia in the water. It wasn't really dirty at all though. I rinsed it in old tank water.

He seems to be acting normally other than the flashing. I will keep an eye on him and make sure hes not doing it a bunch. Thank you.

On 2/4/2024 at 4:46 PM, Bigdog99 said:

How is it going on betta?

Just came to get a update. Haven’t read this yet

He healed quickly from the little cist but he might have something else going on. I'm going to have to watch him closely. Hes behaving normally though.

• Like 2