Things you "shouldn't" do, but do anyways

On 10/4/2023 at 9:59 AM, Ruud said:

For the cleaners under us... what is the best way to clean glass above the waterline, to get rid of the accumulated minerals etc? I am scared to use something like vinegar with the tank up and running and fish in it. 

I use: a razorblade, a white buffing pad, or an algae scrubbing pad or similar magic eraser above and below the waqter line. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 9:01 AM, JettsPapa said:

For the people who say they suck on the hose to start the siphon, do you not have the tube at the end that's larger than the hose?  I'm asking because it's easy enough to start a siphon with one of those without sucking on the hose (and I threw the bulbs away years ago).

I was starting an airline for a drip acclimation. I have sucked the siphon though too. It's faster and you don't have to maneuver the rigid tubing around dense, tall plants. My plants always get wrapped around or sucked into the siphon if I start the siphon the traditional way.

On 10/4/2023 at 2:16 PM, Tanked said:

magic eraser

I worry about those magic erasers because they dissolve; they get smaller and smaller as they are used.  Not really sure what they are made of; I guess it must be nontoxic if you are successful with it.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

• 3 weeks later...

I use rocks and driftwood I find on the beach in both of my tanks.  I give them a good scrub and a rinse with the hose, and then into the tank they go.  I like the rocks with holes in them (made by burrowing piddock clams).

Edited by PaigeIs
  • Like 7