DallasCowboys16 29 Gallon Planted Tank Build Journal

Intro:

I'm starting up this thread to document my 29 gallon planted tank build. After a bit of a tank loss disaster a few weeks ago, I decided to move from shell dwellers to a planted community.

This tank was previously a 20 gallon long, so I decided to upgrade to a 29 gallon since it has the same footprint and can utilize the same stand, along with the fact that I tend to appreciate the extra height in planted tanks so that the plants can really grow vertically and go wild.

I've attached some pictures of the previous setup. I enjoyed that tank for quite a few years and got to raise generation after generation of Multis in there.

Now for the new tank.

Stock:

I really don't have my heart set on a specific fish for this tank, so I'll probably get it setup, let the plants grow in, and pick out some stock that catches my eye at the shop. I've been thinking some livebearers could be fun since I haven't done a platy or guppy tank since I was a kid. Perhaps a friendly community of various tetras, rasboras, and danios? I've also been kicking around the idea of getting a pair of apistos, but not sure. I've even considered tiger or odessa barbs, but honestly I probably would want a little bit of a larger tank for either species. Right now I am keeping my options open. Would love to hear some suggestions if anyone has some fish that they're enjoying a lot right now.

Equipment:

Co2 Injection -

I'm going with a more high-tech setup on this tank. I generally run all of my tanks with CO2 because I find that it is generally much easier to achieve the rapid and lush plant growth this way. I ordered a Coop regulator (I generally use aquatech, but figured I try out the coop's product) and will be picking up my Co2 cylinder and diffuser this week. Probably just going to go with a standard in tank ceramic diffuser. I thought about a reactor, but I find they don't perform as well with canisters that have a flow rate under 200 gph so I'm steering clear this time around.

Filtration -

I picked up a Fluval 207 yesterday. I don't love canisters, but really like the minimal in tank equipment and silence that they bring to the table. I've also always liked the Fluval canisters and have been running a 404 on my 55 gallon tank for nearly a decade with no issues.

Lighting -

I've used most of the planted aquarium lights that have come on the market over the last 10 years and figured I would give the new 30" coop light a shot. My first impressions are that it is VERY bright when run at 100% output and has a very nice color temp. The housing is sturdy and I'm looking forward to seeing how it grows plants (which I am sure it will do just fine).

Tank -

Just a good old fashioned 29 gallon Aqueon glass tank with black trim. Can't go wrong here for the price. I've got a 7 gallon UNS ultra low-iron glass cube that I really like and while the difference is notable, the price for one comparable in size to the standard 29 gallon is pretty crazy.

Hardscape/Substrate:

I stopped by an awesome new aquascape supply company that opened up here in Denver this past year and had never seen more awesome wood and rock in my entire life (AquaRocks Colorado if you're in the area. Definitely worth the trip.). While nice wood and rock costs a pretty penny, I find that it generally really does elevate the look of a tank. I picked out a really awesome piece of Malaysian driftwood and some nice seriyu stone to compliment it. The driftwood will undoubtedly be the centerpiece of this tank and I am really excited to see how it looks when the tank grows in.

For substrate I am rolling with good old fashioned Eco Complete. I have been on a bit of a sand kick the last few years, mainly because I love how natural it looks in a tank, but I find that nothing grows plants better than good old fashioned gravel or eco complete if you fertilize well. I have other tanks running UNS controsoil and while I also like that substrate a lot, I find that the lifespan of eco complete, which is indefinite, to be a major selling point compared to specialty soils that break down pretty significantly over time.

I have attached a few pics of my initial thoughts on the layout and will be getting the substrate in there and filling up with water here in the next few days. I hope you all enjoy following along!

IMG_3399.jpeg

IMG_0039.jpeg

59832899629__24E5CA66-9AD1-477B-B23E-5998E9B42380.JPG

IMG_0836.jpeg

71667071238__BCE32CF7-6275-4131-A194-5415E8A26DC4.jpeg

Edited by DallasCowboys16
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

On 9/24/2023 at 2:52 PM, DallasCowboys16 said:

I really don't have my heart set on a specific fish for this tank, so I'll probably get it setup, let the plants grow in, and pick out some stock that catches my eye at the shop. I've been thinking some livebearers could be fun since I haven't done a platy or guppy tank since I was a kid. Perhaps a friendly community of various tetras, rasboras, and danios? I've also been kicking around the idea of getting a pair of apistos, but not sure. I've even considered tiger or odessa barbs, but honestly I probably would want a little bit of a larger tank for either species. Right now I am keeping my options open. Would love to hear some suggestions if anyone has some fish that they're enjoying a lot right now.

A clown pleco would probably love all those nooks and caves in the wood.

On 9/26/2023 at 6:24 PM, DallasCowboys16 said:

Filled the tank up on Sunday night and am in the process of water logging the driftwood. It is pretty buoyant so I imagine it will take a week or two to sink. I've got it pinned down with rocks for the time being.

you can use a super glue to speed up the process. Just a quick note that if the water starts to turn yellow this is perfectly normal. Its just Tannins, a chemical released by the wood, that are generally harmless and can option be beneficial based on the fish.

On 9/26/2023 at 7:21 PM, GoofyGarra said:

you can use a super glue to speed up the process. Just a quick note that if the water starts to turn yellow this is perfectly normal. Its just Tannins, a chemical released by the wood, that are generally harmless and can option be beneficial based on the fish.

Oh yeah, I know about the superglue. The only issue is that the wood does not have many contact points with the rock where I can anchor it and considering how bouyant it is, I can almost guarantee it would rip right off until it is waterlogged.

The wood has definitely started releasing some tannins. This is even with activated carbon running!

IMG_0880.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update for everyone.

Wood became waterlogged as of a few days ago so I decided it was time to finally get this thing planted.

I am just looking for a lush, simple, and enjoyable setup here so I rolled with the following - Amazon Swords, Hygo Corymbosa, Christmas Moss, Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Star Repens, Crypt Wendtii (Tropica), and Crypt Indigo.

Probably going to pickup a few more plants for the right background which is empty at the moment, but for now I am content to let these guys grow in until decide on what I want to add.

I also stopped by the local brewing supply and picked up a 5# Co2 tank so I've got everything I need there aside from a diffuser. I bought one yesterday but accidentally left it in the wheel well of my car when I was grabbing my keys out of my pocket. Now I know what the crunching sound was when I was backing out of the parking lot lol.

Also, right now I am running the Coop light at 60% and it seems to provide good coverage and plenty of light for the species I picked to grow here based on the eye test, but does anyone have any suggestions for intensity settings on this fixture?

IMG_0987.jpeg

IMG_0988.jpeg

Also did some work on my 7 gallon cube so I figured I would drop a pic here for your enjoyment!

IMG_0984.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 10/10/2023 at 1:39 PM, DallasCowboys16 said:

Quick Update for everyone.

Wood became waterlogged as of a few days ago so I decided it was time to finally get this thing planted.

I am just looking for a lush, simple, and enjoyable setup here so I rolled with the following - Amazon Swords, Hygo Corymbosa, Christmas Moss, Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Star Repens, Crypt Wendtii (Tropica), and Crypt Indigo.

Probably going to pickup a few more plants for the right background which is empty at the moment, but for now I am content to let these guys grow in until decide on what I want to add.

I also stopped by the local brewing supply and picked up a 5# Co2 tank so I've got everything I need there aside from a diffuser. I bought one yesterday but accidentally left it in the wheel well of my car when I was grabbing my keys out of my pocket. Now I know what the crunching sound was when I was backing out of the parking lot lol.

Also, right now I am running the Coop light at 60% and it seems to provide good coverage and plenty of light for the species I picked to grow here based on the eye test, but does anyone have any suggestions for intensity settings on this fixture?

IMG_0987.jpeg

IMG_0988.jpeg

Also did some work on my 7 gallon cube so I figured I would drop a pic here for your enjoyment!

IMG_0984.jpeg

looking good! Any ideas on stocking in the big tank? The endlers in the cube tank look super cool.

On 10/10/2023 at 12:10 PM, GoofyGarra said:

looking good! Any ideas on stocking in the big tank? The endlers in the cube tank look super cool.

The endler in the little tank is a Tiger endler I picked up from The Colorado Aquarium Society auction last spring. He is a pretty little fish. The other fish in there are 15 Chili Rasboras and a betta that I actually believe has a shortened torso kind of like ballon body mollies, rams, etc. I saw him in a store a year or two ago and picked up because he was such an interesting looking oddball.

As far as the big tank I definitely think I want to pickup some sort of small pleco or catfish (open to suggestions here) to make use of all of the awesome little caves that the wood has created. I am also leaning toward getting a pair of Apistos to go in this tank. Probably nothing too crazy, just standard double or triple red cacatuoides. Pygmy corys have been something I've thought about and I also think that a school or two of tetras would look nice. I generally like the look of a large school of a smaller bodied species and then a smaller school of a larger bodied variety (think black phantom, lemon, redeye, pristella, etc). I was initially thinking some platys or guppies, but I honestly think this wood will have a pretty significant impact on the the PH of the tank based on the amount of tannins it has produced and it would result in pretty sub optimal conditions for most livebearers.

Really though I plan on letting the tank grow in for a few weeks-a month and then just being open to what speaks to me at the store.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got some vallisneria spiralis for the right side of the tank in order to fill up the remaining space. I think it all should look nice when it is all grown in.

The hygro is growing really quickly and the amazon swords are throwing out all kinds of new leaves.

I'm thinking I'll give everything a few more weeks to grow in before getting some fish in there. I stopped by a local store on Saturday and got a few ideas. I think I definitely want to get a pair of triple red Apisto Cacatuoides. I had a pair years ago and really enjoyed them. Even spawned them a few times. I saw some really good looking El Tigre endlers that I think could be fun as well.

IMG_1062.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Time for an update!

After letting the tank grow in and mature for a while, I finally added the first inhabitants!

The Emporer tetras at the store caught my eye and as a fish I have never kept before, I decided to give them a whirl! I picked up 8 of them (1 male 7 females) to start off.

After they had settled in, I picked up a tiny juvenile albino longfin bristlenose pleco. I've never really been a fan of albino fish outside of the bristlenose. I just love the deep gold they get with the light spots.

Finally, the latest additions were a pair of triple red apistogramma cacatuoides which I finally found at a shop and could not refuse. I've only had them for 2 weeks and I was greeted yesterday by a horde of fry being shepherded to the front of the tank by mother! I have always loved how easy they are to spawn.

Here is a youtube short of the fry.

On the plant side of things, things have taken off quite nicely. I killed all of the star repens when I accidentally left my light off for 3 days while I was out of town (not a surprise due to their lack of tolerance for blackouts), so I picked up some dwarf sag to fill in the right foreground. The hygro and itallian val has exploded as expected, the crypts are transitioned to their submerged mode of growth and are starting to fill in, the amazon swords are starting to shoot out some giant leaves, and the java fern and anubias are constantly putting out new growth. I am excited by the prospect of what this tank will look like in a few more months after getting out of the ugly duckling phase.

I am growing a little bit of green spot algae on the glass while the plants fill in, but I am fine leaving it as I would rather have it there than all over the hardscape.

On the hardware side of things, I added an old 12" finnex planted+ to the front of the tank as I was not thrilled by the shadowed appearance that the huge driftwood piece was causing by blocking out all the light from the Coop fixture. I am much happier with the viewing experience now, and the plants in the front half of the tank are no longer starved for light like they were.

I've attached some pictures to show off the progress!

IMG_1279.jpeg

IMG_1280.jpeg

IMG_1281.jpeg

IMG_1163.jpeg

IMG_1315.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Just catching up on this journal. I love that wood. Has such a dynamic visual.  You have planted it to really accentuate its uniqueness. 

I love my caucatoides triple reds. They do better as at least a trio. They are not pair forming they are harem breeders. Though that does not mean you can’t keep them as a pair.  Both my girls pump out babies like crazy in a 20long so the 29 is a perfect footprint.

However mine kill everything but each other and their babies. Shrimp and snails dont even stand a chance. Once they make fry nothing is allowed in the girls territory.  Pygmy or any corydora may not be the best choice. 

Looking forward to following along. 

My husband has been a die hard cowboys fan for 50 years. The Eagles sure didn’t fly yesterday 🤣

On 12/11/2023 at 8:07 PM, Guppysnail said:

Just catching up on this journal. I love that wood. Has such a dynamic visual.  You have planted it to really accentuate its uniqueness. 

I love my caucatoides triple reds. They do better as at least a trio. They are not pair forming they are harem breeders. Though that does not mean you can’t keep them as a pair.  Both my girls pump out babies like crazy in a 20long so the 29 is a perfect footprint.

However mine kill everything but each other and their babies. Shrimp and snails dont even stand a chance. Once they make fry nothing is allowed in the girls territory.  Pygmy or any corydora may not be the best choice. 

Looking forward to following along. 

My husband has been a die hard cowboys fan for 50 years. The Eagles sure didn’t fly yesterday 🤣

The wood is really a pretty awesome piece. It was quite expensive, but I find that with hardscape you pretty much always get what you pay for.

I know that lots of people like to keep a few females per male with the cacatuoides, but I didn't want the tank to turn into a warzone with multiple females guarding fry at the same time. They really are one of my favorite fish ever (it doesn't hurt that they are easy to breed and pretty much always in demand for $15+).

I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan too and that game on Sunday was one of the highest points for this team in decades. I'm sure your husband has told you this more than a few times this season, but this could finally be the year they recapture the Superbowl. I know DallasCowboys16 is a goofy aquarium forum user name, but it has been my name every since I was 12 years old on some of the OG discussion forums, so I figured I should keep it so that any old friends from other sites recognize me!

I'll be periodically posting updates as this tank comes along. Thinking about picking up a few more fish in the next week or so, so stay tuned!

• Love 1

My cacatoides and my borellii are really cool dads. My girls do not fight because the dads insert their body between the girls and actually usher the girl on the wrong side of the tank back to her side. My dad cacatoides will gather errant fry and spit them back at the moms. Not always the correct moms but a mom no less. 

Yea over the years I’ve learned a bit about football and the Cowboys.  Hubby watches from home every game on Sunday. I always sit with him through Cowboys games so he has someone to cheer with. I’ve actually come to enjoy watching in my own way. 

They really seem to have their head in the game this year 🤞🏻