The Lazy Aquarist: HOB filter experiment

Galabar

Recently (in the last few years), I've been branching away from canister filters, trying internal filters and UGF filters.  I really like to be lazy in the hobby.  So, I'm looking for something that allows minimal tank maintenance.

The UGF has been rock solid and the Sicce Shark ADV filters have been incredibly quick and easy to maintain.

However, I thought to myself, is there something quicker and easier?  Maybe I can reach way, way back to the days that I used HOB filters and see what I can see.

My criteria where:

1) In-tank pump for self priming (Aqua Clear disqualified here).

2) Minimal need for modifications.  I'd like to run with what comes in the box.

3) Cheap and very quick to maintain.

This led me to the Tetra Whisper IQ 45 filter:

filter1.jpeg

For under $30 (including tax), I was able to get the filter and 24 filter cartridges.

I'm going to run the filter cartridges without carbon and just toss them when I need to change them.  This will cost < $1 per cartridge and I should be able to go about 1 year with the above 24 cartridges (in a 30 gallon tank).

I'm hoping this turns out to be the ultimate in quickness and convenience.  I may add some biological filter media inside the bag and just move it over to the new bag during maintenance.  However, that would add time and effort.  So, I might just add a little sponge to the plastic "bio" lattice that comes after the cartridge.

In any event, I'm hoping this fulfills my lazy dreams and makes maintenance just that much easier.  I love the Sicce Shark ADV, but you do have to get your arm wet... 🙂

It would be so funny if the answer for the lazy aquarist is to go back to the unmodified HOB filter. 🙂

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 2

On 9/23/2023 at 5:16 AM, Tanked said:

I don't think there is an easier filter to maintain than the UGF.

I broke my Tetra Whisper years ago.  The filter bags were not cheap, so I began rinsing and reusing them until they got too thin.  The extra bags became filter media in other HOBs.

I think the two boxes of 24 filter bags was $15.

On 9/23/2023 at 7:17 AM, AndEEss said:

Why did you buy disposable filter cartridges for a HOB?

The Whisper is designed for those.  I'm looking for something cheap and convenient.  I should be able to go a year for about $15.

On 9/24/2023 at 2:03 AM, Galabar said:

The Whisper is designed for those.  I'm looking for something cheap and convenient.  I should be able to go a year for about $15.

If I remember correctly, at the time, they cost about $2. each.  I began using use a sink sprayer, or garden hose to pressure wash them, extending their life for quite a while.  

Today I am using Aqueon 30 filters that came with an adopted aquarium. I don't like them, because the filter bag is permanently attached to the frame, making cleaning difficult. When the cartridge supply is exhausted I will modify the filter.

On 9/24/2023 at 12:03 AM, Galabar said:

I meant why are you replacing filter material at all. 

The point of a filter is to process biological waste; throwing it out eliminates the ability to do that. 

On 9/25/2023 at 12:39 PM, AndEEss said:

I meant why are you replacing filter material at all. 

The point of a filter is to process biological waste; throwing it out eliminates the ability to do that. 

There are a couple of locations for biological filtration in this filter.  There is a scaffolding after the filter cartridge that it meant for biological filtration.  I'm going to supplement that with some very corse sponge or put scrubbers.  In addition, I may add biological media to the inside of the biobag/cartridge (or leave it empty).  The cartridge will mainly be for mechanical filtration.  I could rinse the biobag/cartridge, but that would defeat the purpose of being lazy. 🙂

• Haha 1