Stocking help, please. 5 gallon, heavily planted, moderate flow, no heater, no lid

HoosierJeff

(Are these requests allowed? If not, feel free to remove. Thank you!)

Hi, folks. I just setup a 5 gallon nano tank. I moved a fair amount of Val and some stem plants from my other tanks. I’ll attach a picture, but won’t stock it until it is done cycling and the plants have grown in more. (It isn’t really “heavily planted” yet, but should be considerably more so in a month.)

I’m hoping to not use a heater or lid, but will for the right fish. There is a small internal filter (Oase BioCompact 50) that creates a moderate flow that I’d like to keep. And obviously it is a small tank. 

Can you help me think of stocking options? It seems to be a tricky combo I’m after. I’d like to not do a shrimp-only tank (although I’ll move some cherry shrimp from my other tanks once this one is ready). I already have a betta tank (and obviously this setup isn’t suitable for a betta). I have CPD’s and white cloud mountain minnows in another tank. I’m not looking for a pea puffer at the moment.

With all that info…what stocking suggestions do you have? 

I look forward to your input and learning about what you suggest I consider.

Jeff

IMG_1551.jpeg

Edited by HoosierJeff

My wife has a chile rasbora tank that she loves but it's a 10.  I would think they could do a 5.  She always goes for contrast in tanks so she could go with a shrimp color that contrasts with the fish, so chile rasboras are red so she would do blue, yellow, or green shrimp.  I don't know if this helps but it is a pretty cool fish 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 1:03 AM, Galabar said:

I like lids -- to fight both evaporation and fish jumping. 🙂

Oh, and light-falling-in-ing. 🙂

I have lids on a couple of my tanks, but just love the shimmer of light without a lid, and want to try a couple in my family room without lids. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll put them back on. But if I can find fish I like that aren’t jumpers and keep up with evaporation and temp control, I’d like to try without lids. 🤷🏼‍♂️

On 9/20/2023 at 10:58 PM, Ben P. said:

My wife has a chile rasbora tank that she loves but it's a 10.  I would think they could do a 5.  She always goes for contrast in tanks so she could go with a shrimp color that contrasts with the fish, so chile rasboras are red so she would do blue, yellow, or green shrimp.  I don't know if this helps but it is a pretty cool fish 

Thank you for the input! I've actually really been thinking about the chili rasbora. Haven't kept them before. My concern is the flow. I can always turn it down a bit if needed, I suppose. What is the flow situation in your wife's tank?