Fieryblack Shiner 🔥

Fish Folk

On 9/19/2023 at 1:59 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Nice colors! Are they related to Rainbow shiners? 

Not exactly. Rainbow Shiners are Notropis chrosomus. Fieryblack Shiners are Cyprinella pyrrhomelas.

Here is the iNaturalist info page on Rainbow Shiners. Their range looks like this…

IMG_4122.jpeg.10e000e37bfc9a6dbde925ca5df66c50.jpeg

In the wild, here is what Rainbow Shiners look like…

Here is the iNaturalist info page on Fieryblack Shiners. Their range looks like this…

IMG_4123.jpeg.a1224403f6da0a614cad3a6284ba0ae1.jpeg

Here is underwater male v. male combat footage of Fieryblack Shiners…

I actually got mine as F1 juveniles from one of the guys who filmed this!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Finally caught some (and the bucket stayed secure)! Man they are just wonderful! I captured about 14ish.

John's River, Catawba Drainage, NC near Colletsville.

All were caught in a Cast Net in a shallow pool. Warpaint Shiners, Juvenile Chubs, and Spottail Shiners also present, but the majority of fish caught were Fieryblacks.

IMG_0505.jpeg

IMG_0503.jpeg

IMG_0502.jpeg

IMG_0506.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

On 9/21/2023 at 1:32 PM, AquaHobbyist123 said:

Finally caught some (and the bucket stayed secure)! Man they are just wonderful! I captured about 14ish.

John's River, Catawba Drainage, NC near Colletsville.

All were caught in a Cast Net in a shallow pool. Warpaint Shiners, Juvenile Chubs, and Spottail Shiners also present, but the majority of fish caught were Fieryblacks.

IMG_0505.jpeg

IMG_0503.jpeg

IMG_0502.jpeg

IMG_0506.jpeg

Well done! Now, I'd be very attentive to their native water conditions before bringing indoors -- assuming you're planning to keep some? I have heard that F0s can really breakdown in that transfer. Mine are F1s -- much, much easier.

• Like 1

All doing well so far. Not a single mortality. I collected a good number in case mortality was an issue, but so far they're doing great. 

One thing that I think helped was the collection site being very local, and the collection period was about an hour at most so they were transported home promptly.

Edited by AquaHobbyist123
  • Love 2

Interestingly, I catch Warpaints a lot even though they're not native to this watershed. Heyre very abundant in cool, rocky streams. I've found them in the Yadkin River too in the Pee Dee Basin. All collecting conducted here was done in an hour with a Cast Net in a pool about 2.5 ft deep. I was just walking by it and decided to cast my net in there just because, and the first fish I caught were Fieryblacks.

One thing I am keeping an eye on these for is Fin rot though, because they have a tendency to nip.

• Like 1

All but 4 juveniles and (I collected extra because I was expecting losses greater than thus even), who did not make it due to fin rot which I was unsuccessful in stopping. The vast majority made it though. Again, it probably helps that transit time for them was minimal. They never went in the tank anwayays as I noticed it early during acclimation. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

These guys deserve way more attention than they get. There are a few people who do breed this species, such as Derek Wheaton and Phil Farell, and obviously @Fish Folk and me eventually (I hope). However, it is pretty much only available from breeders, special NANF dealers, or in native fish circles. I hope to one day get this wonderful fish species to be more common in the hobby.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 2:20 AM, AquaHobbyist123 said:

These guys deserve way more attention than they get. There are a few people who do breed this species, such as Derek Wheaton and Phil Farell, and obviously @Fish Folk and me eventually (I hope). However, it is pretty much only available from breeders, special NANF dealers, or in native fish circles. I hope to one day get this wonderful fish species to be more common in the hobby.

They’re a really lively, active fish. Mine are happy to eat anything. Fry grow very slowly, so turn around on breeding is slow. They’re not very aggressive unless jousting for spawning rights. Almost impossible to photograph. I’ve only gotten a couple semi-decent shots of mine…
IMG_4048.jpeg.f7ba80619d4a1f71feed8b28a0e5fc6f.jpeg

IMG_4116.jpeg.1430f85775bcbf8dec0fdf83349891d1.jpeg

IMG_4067.jpeg.f572f33354ddd1dd88cc07169dda6eb3.jpeg

IMG_4114.jpeg.dc755e6df52f77fea4d0ea48766e4745.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• 5 weeks later...