fish stuck b/t plastic breeder box and aquarium glass

venzi

So I woke up this morning to find that my small female betta died b/c it couldn't get out of a tiny space that's created b/t the plastic breeder box and the aquarium glass.  The breeder box is adhered to the aquarium glass with suction cups and creates a gap of a few millimeters.  I've known for a while that my fish sometimes gets b/t that space, but they all manage to slither out of there, but i guess this time this betta just really jammed herself into the crevice.  I say jammed, b/c the breeder box wall is slightly angled (which is part of the problem i suppose) so fish can get in from the bottom where the crevice is the widest then it continues to narrow as you go up.

Anyways, just wanted to share my experience to inform others.  Has anyone else had a similar experience? 

Anyone have recommendations on a different plastic breeder box with a solid bottom (no holes).  I think ziss breeder boxes are highly rated, but I wonder if they would have this same problem of creating this small crevice that fish can't escape from?

The pic below is my current breeder box

image.png.f28f05b231fbce52ba2779b5f7855151.png

Edited by venzi
  • Sad 1

On 9/15/2023 at 10:14 AM, venzi said:

The pic below is my current breeder box

Unfortunately a lot of designs out there are copy and paste.  The ziss box is unique enough to where I don't think you would have the issue mentioned.  I have a very similar floating style breeder box and on some tanks there's no gaps, but in other situations there is one.  There's softer mesh style ones as well that might work a little better in your situation as well.  There are also hang-on breeder boxes too, fluval now sells them, but they were formerly labelled under Marina.

There are a plethora of ways to solve a problem and a lot of those result in various "solutions" all deemed to be the same thing.  "breeder box" sells a lot better than "floating chamber made of some sort of acrylic like plastic to hold fish for a time period away from other fish and works best on a 10G tank".  In my case, finding one that actually works well on a 75G has been a really particular issue.

• Like 1