My betta is acting strange….

Matthew does stuff

I have a female koi galaxy betta that is acting weird. She has been laying at the bottom of the tank over the past couple days. I noticed that she was getting blown around by my filter so I put the flow way down and now it’s good. When I first got her 2 months ago she was very curious. Now she is just sitting there. Water quality is perfect and temp is at a good 78 F. She eats bug bites and Northfin betta bits. Any help would be appreciated! I’m worried about her. She eats only a few pellets when she sees them. 😥

IMG_1221.jpeg

Edited by Matthew does stuff
  • Sad 1

On 9/9/2023 at 5:55 PM, Matthew does stuff said:

She seems to be breathing faster than usual and not coming up for air as often. Should I put an air stone in the water? I know bettas go to the top for oxygen but my tank barely has any surface agitation.

You can never go wrong with more oxygen. Do her gills look red or swollen? 

On 9/9/2023 at 6:06 PM, Matthew does stuff said:

I honestly don’t know. I took a few pictures. Hopefully it helps. Also do you think I should put some aquarium salt into her tank? My father has fresh new and clean mixed saltwater (because he has reef tanks) and I could put some of that into here. Like a takeout soup container amount. 

IMG_1227.jpeg

IMG_1230.jpeg

IMG_1234.jpeg

IMG_1231.jpeg

IMG_1233.jpeg

Marine salt is a different kind of salt altogether and should not be confused with aquarium salt. Marine salt contains buffers that will kill or harm freshwater fish and should only be used to salinate the water in salt water tanks. You should look up "aquarium salt" and use that. It's for freshwater fish and should help if she is fighting something. Just know it can have an averse effect on live plants sometimes.

Very very sadly she has passed away. She was so pretty. I knew that I wanted to get her when I first saw her. She passed away on Monday. I checked up on her before I went to school and she was still alive and breathing kinda a lot. And when I came back she was at the bottom of the tank upside down and lost a little bit of color. I have no clue why. She ate 1 day prior. I tested the water and it was good. I don’t have ammonia test strips but I highly doubt it was ammonia that caused it. I have had the tank cycle for one month before I got her and it had snails in it that I would give food to start the cycle. I also used lots of cycled Bactria sponges from my cichlid tank. My father kept saying on how it’s the pice of driftwood I have in the tank messing things up. I honestly have no clue on why she passed away. I did the math and I only had her for 49 days since when I got her…….. she was really stressed for the last week before she passed. It could have been stress that killed her. Rest in peace zoey 🥺 now I have a empty betta tank debating on what I should do with it or if I should take out the driftwood.

On 9/9/2023 at 7:51 PM, Miranda Marie said:

Marine salt is a different kind of salt altogether and should not be confused with aquarium salt. Marine salt contains buffers that will kill or harm freshwater fish and should only be used to salinate the water in salt water tanks. You should look up "aquarium salt" and use that. It's for freshwater fish and should help if she is fighting something. Just know it can have an averse effect on live plants sometimes.

On 9/14/2023 at 6:33 PM, Herefishie said:

I don't have any expert advice for you but I just had to say that that is one gorgeous fish. I so hope it has a happy ending.