ACO Test Strip Logging? Question.

There are a lot of positives when it comes to using test strips over collecting little test tubes of water. In either case, I am sure a lot of us are logging (keeping track of) the results of our regular testing of our water parameters. However, it occurs to me that another possible benefit to using test strips, like those from ACO, would be the convenience of using the strip itself as part of the log.

My question... is this possible? What I am asking specifically is: Do used ACO strips maintain their colors as (or after) they have dried out? If they do, then wouldn't it make sense after each test to pat dry the strip(s) and attach them side-by-side in the log with the date and not have to guess the exact numbers represented by the colors or write them down? Does anybody do this?

The biggest advantage (with a whole row of test strips lined up next to each other) that I can see would be the ability to see a progression of even slight color changes over time for each parameter that the test strip tests for. You could easily see over time how stable things are and the direction any particular parameter is heading. I think that would be very useful and a time saver, too.

Of course, if the strips go all wonky as they dry, then forget that I ever asked! lol Thanks.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 7:52 AM, JChristophersAdventures said:

Do used ACO strips maintain their colors as (or after) they have dried out?

It shifts. It's not constant. That is why the timing is there in the directions and even waiting 5 minutes as opposed to 3 can give you an incorrect test.

There are some strips available, even photometric (I'm sure that's not the right one) tests that use lasers and microcontrollers which will feed to an app which logs things over time.

Android has a cool notes app that lets you record it as well, I'm sure it's on Apple too.

• Like 1

@nabokovfan87 I was afraid that might be the case. Those other processes sound like they might off-set the convenience and aspects I had in mind, however, I might look into them as well as a pocket sized photo scanner that could make a quick digital color copy (perhaps cut and paste into a log) to store on a computer hard drive as a standard file. Just have to weight the cost, ease of use and time invested to see if its worth it. Thanks.

• Like 1

@Pepere I guess it would depend on your approach to fish keeping. I will likely be doing it as I get things up and going to get a clear picture of how stable things are and how my water changes over time with a certain maintenance routine. Sounds like you have a pretty firm grip on how your systems are doing given your routine. I think it would be interesting to have the data... but, I probably am in the minority on that one. Thanks.

I like to manually log our results in Aquarium Note 2. This is mostly because we are new to the hobby and want to visualize trends for our 3 small tanks and 5 qt. I expect that once we have completed our initial stocking and see some stability in our display tanks, the record-keeping will slack off.

I thought the idea to use the strips as an actual record would have been a good one. It is like scrapbooking, but for fishkeeping.

• Like 1

@HelplessNewbie Exactly! As @nabokovfan87 pointed out, the test strips themselves won't function well for that purpose, as they aren't color stable over time. However, I think there is a better solution. I know this was brought up in the past, but the technology is even better now than before, so I think it is worth bringing up again.

Here's a way in which it might work. Imagine that you've just used an ACO test strip, you've reached the 3 minute mark and its time to compare it to the chart... but, instead you whip out a pocket sized scanner (about 1" x 5" or so) which is made by ACO (designed/calibrated specifically) to read the ACO test strip colors. The scanner has a dual connector (a USB for a laptop and another for your smartphone). Using technology that is available today, it logs the readings allowing you to know the numbers without matching a single color yourself.

The novice would want it. The statistics nerds would want it. People with large fish rooms would want it. It could very likely be under $50 since it largely uses the devices you already have (computer/smartphone). Great for color blind or color challenged hobbyists!

It would be easy to use because it is designed to do one thing... feed the optical data from the strip/scanner into an app that itself only does one thing... puts the data into a simple report form. If it were super "easy"... as in ACO Easy______ (you fill in the rest of the product name), then fish keepers would test using ACO test strips more often, interpret the results more accurately, have more fun and healthier water/fish.

@Cory @Zenzo More ACO test strips sold, new "Easy _____" product that really isn't out there at all right now (I couldn't find anything like it on the internet). Yeah I know, its another thing added to a long list of things you "might" want to do, but haven't been able to get to. But, there it is... a free suggestion never cost anybody anything other than the moment it takes to read it. Thanks for taking that moment.

Edited by JChristophersAdventures

@HelplessNewbie That's why I think it would be a good item for ACO because it would be geared to their test strips and be another exclusive product. I know enough about software development to realize that it wouldn't be a huge deal to develop now that the scan recognition capability is readily available. Similar scanners for other applications are all over the place.

• Like 1