Val variety for 5 gallon

I am setting up a 5 gallon. I want to have plants along the back of the tank only. I love the look of val- especially to cover the whole back like a background rather than painted or stick on types. I know it gets tall though and I don't know how well it would work if I had to cut it. 

The tank is gravel, but the hope is to plant the plants in a trough type planter so it will stay contained in the back. This means I can plant in aqua soil if needed.

Any recommendations? Is there a specific type of val that might work? Would a micro sword grow well and look fairly tall given the tank is small?

Picture of tank from the side to show where I want the plants. I want to have the 2 ornaments up front because this is a metaframe/vintage display!  16934279133468509850150017476479.jpg.13f5c90b8cc7ee59c2d0333402315390.jpg

Thanks for any help!

I would recommend dwarf sagittaria. It will grow taller under low lighting and will max out around 10-12 inches. Longer leaves you can trim at the bottom and it will generally only grow as tall as the next tallest leaf. This plant can take over if you're not careful, but I prefer it over val just because it is not nearly as aggressive and will stay appropriate length for smaller tanks. 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2023 at 1:54 PM, Sarina said:

I would recommend dwarf sagittaria. It will grow taller under low lighting and will max out around 10-12 inches. Longer leaves you can trim at the bottom and it will generally only grow as tall as the next tallest leaf. This plant can take over if you're not careful, but I prefer it over val just because it is not nearly as aggressive and will stay appropriate length for smaller tanks. 

Thank you! I have been watching plant videos on YouTube, and that is one I was looking at!

• Like 1