Diatom algae question

Rita

Hi all,

so I’ve had my planted tank up and running for 1 month, and I’ve been fertilizing with easy green twice a week as the pants are sucking up the ferts like crazy. They are growing, however so is the diatom algae. I purchased some shrimp and snails last week and they have a smorgasbord lol. So my question is some of the plants are getting blanketed by it. Do I let it be? Should I try knocking it off? 

• Administrators

Omg diatom algae is the worst - fortunately it doesn't last forever. I always wipe it off plant leaves if I can, the algae blocks the plant cells from light and therefore they usually can't photosynthesize as efficiently. Probably not a huge deal if your shrimp and snails are working hard at it, but for me, I just like to do it as a little boost in cleanup. Plus it's pretty satisfying rubbing the algae off lol

Diatom algae is usually caused by silicates in the substrate of a new tank. It's your choice whether you remove it or leave it be as it's not inherently harmful. Personally I've removed the loose algae while gravel vacuuming or (in the past) introduced otocinclus to the tank.

• Like 1