Gymnogeophagus caaguazuensis hole in the head?

dylaneff1

I have a Gymnogeophagus caaguazuensis male whose head is deteriorating above his eyes towards his nostrils. I thought maybe it was hole in the head, but I'm not sure anymore. I feed a variety of food (primarily Xtreme bottom scratchers, vibra bites, repashy, frozen blood worms, etc.) so diet shouldn't be the issue, and my tanks run at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and < 40 ppm nitrate. Currently he's in a 10 gallon quarantine tank where I've treated with two full courses of API general cure (metro and prazi; 4 total doses) with no improvement. His color is still there and he's still eating most of the time. Any other ideas of what it could be or what I could use to treat? Nothing else in his regular tank has shown symptoms. Here's a pic of his tank and a profile view of him. I couldn't catch him facing me.

Current quarantine tank parameters: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate, pH = 7.0-7.1, GH 300+, KH = 80, temp = 74 F (23 C)

IMG_9591.JPG

IMG_9590.JPG

In the past, I have had a few mid-sized New World Cichlids the have suffered Hole in the Head Disease. Limiting stress, water changes, and lightening the bio decomposition load help. I'd put a divider between tanks. Limit all stress. If that's not hole in the head, it sure looks pretty serious.

Sorry for your troubles. Geophagus are such beautiful fish. If you haven't seen problems with other fish . . . it is possible that you have a problem you didn't create, but cannot resolve. 

Edited by Fish Folk

It's difficult to tell off your pictures if that HITH if it is most effective treatment is metronidazole in food so I would treat with metroplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for upto 3 weeks I would also add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons @dylaneff1

Screenshot_20230813-020656.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 2:08 PM, dylaneff1 said:

Good call about the divider @Fish Folk, I'll definitely add that. @Colu I've already treated with metronidazole in the water twice. Not sure if it's safe to continue to treat internally... Where did you find the information about treating in food for 3 weeks?

Three weeks is the recommended treatment period for metroplex 

• Like 1