Looking at options for a stand with 2x 40 gallon breeders.

cr0wley

Hi there, so I recently realized that I have enough space in my room to accommodate 2x 40g breeders. I was looking around and heard that a few people have had success with Home Depot-esque industrial storage shelves. I came across this online; https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hirsh-Industries-36-W-x-18-D-x-60-H-4-Shelf-Iron-Horse-Freestanding-Shelves-Black-and-Gray/182662914?from=/search   and noticed that this shelf looks more durable due to the multiple layers of steel on the arms, versus cheaper units with only 1 layer of steel on the arms. Does anyone have experience with something like this? If so, please chime in.

• Like 2

I have a similar shelf that I use primarily for food and supply storage, but I do have a 4G nano tank on it. I know this isn't anything close to a 40G but that being said, it wasn't the frame that caused me concern but the particle board shelving. After a while I noticed the water line in the tank started sloping towards the center. I ended up doubling the boards and it solved the issue. I believe it will work without much issue, but i would either double up the shelves, or better yet, get a thicker solid board to place the tank on. 

Side note - Watched many tour videos of Master Breeder Dean's fish room and it appears he uses a lot of this type of shelving, but if you look closely, the boards he has on there are noticeably thick.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 11:12 AM, SugarBassJoe said:

I have a similar shelf that I use primarily for food and supply storage, but I do have a 4G nano tank on it. I know this isn't anything close to a 40G but that being said, it wasn't the frame that caused me concern but the particle board shelving. After a while I noticed the water line in the tank started sloping towards the center. I ended up doubling the boards and it solved the issue. I believe it will work without much issue, but i would either double up the shelves, or better yet, get a thicker solid board to place the tank on. 

Side note - Watched many tour videos of Master Breeder Dean's fish room and it appears he uses a lot of this type of shelving, but if you look closely, the boards he has on there are noticeably thick.

Ah, I was under the understanding that with larger tanks like the 40g breeder, that the weight is all distributed to the frame. If you look at the closeups of the shelving,

timestamped, you see that the actual supports for the shelf is on the edges and corners.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 8/20/2023 at 8:51 AM, cr0wley said:

Ah, I was under the understanding that with larger tanks like the 40g breeder, that the weight is all distributed to the frame. If you look at the closeups of the shelving,

timestamped, you see that the actual supports for the shelf is on the edges and corners.

You're right, I dont know why but i kept thinking multiple tanks on one shelf. 

• Like 1