high temperature in lemon tetra tank

fishy

Hi,

currently we're having a heat wave where I live and we do not have central ac so the room I keep my fish tank in is pretty warm.

I have 5 lemon tetra fish in a 20 gallon long fish tank

the tank is hovering around 85-88 degrees farenheit today.

currently keeping all lights off in the fish tank, the heater is off and I have the bubbler set to high. 

the heat wave is lasting about 2 more days but there may be another later this month. 

what can I do to keep the temperature down? (I have jumpers so a fan that can only be used for non-covered tanks is not an option) 

will they be okay in this temperature if it's this hot for under a week? 

thanks.

any fan recommendations (that'll fit well enough under a fish tank lid) are greatly appreciated 

Edited by fishy
added fan recommendations
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 9:23 PM, fishy said:

currently keeping all lights off in the fish tank, the heater is off and I have the bubbler set to high. 

Definitely unplug / remove the heater if you wish.  If it's that hot day to day, you likely don't need one until the air temp drops into 76 degrees or so.

On 8/15/2023 at 9:23 PM, fishy said:

the heat wave is lasting about 2 more days but there may be another later this month. 

what can I do to keep the temperature down? (I have jumpers so a fan that can only be used for non-covered tanks is not an option) 

will they be okay in this temperature if it's this hot for under a week? 

Highs and lows are natural.  The way I manage is that I pull heaters and I have the actual tank itself try to retain as much cold as possible.  During the evenings, trying to lower the temp as much as possible will help to keep the tank cooler, longer.  I run a fan on a timer in the room with the tanks to vent out the warm air during the hottest parts of the day as well. 

You can keep the lid open to give the tank a bit of airspace which will also help keep things cool.  The final "trick" people use is by actually attacking an aquarium fan to the tank itself at the water surface.  More movement, more evaporation, keeps the tank cooler.

On 8/16/2023 at 12:31 AM, mynameisnobody said:

Floating frozen water bottles could help but at that temp, it wouldn’t be frozen very long so you’ll be switching out water bottles very often. 

That's really the only option without a dedicated chiller. I'd get a couple 2l bottles and freeze them, should net you a few hours between swaps.

• Like 2

Ive seen worse in my tanks. I personally wouldnt use frozen bottles because you will constantly cause temp changes.

Keeping a stable temp is better than constantly changing one to me. Keep up with good oxygenation and it should be fine for a few days.  You mentioned a lid, so the only thing I would do is removing a lid and covering something with a texture like mesh for this period if you worry about potential jumping.

• Like 1