Aquarium water turning yellow.

Rene2199

Hello, my name is René.

I am new to the fourm, my apologies if this is not the right thread.

I have a bottomless temporary 40 gallon bichir enclosure, and my water is turning yellow.

I checked my water parameters everything seems norma.I read online to do a 25% water changes daily and it should get better. I have done this along with cleaning out my filter and the walls of the tank and still no improvement. I asked my local pet store and they advised me to do the samething I have been doing!

Can anyone offer any advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

20230814_220355.jpg

20230814_220405.jpg

Edited by Rene2199
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 10:47 PM, Rene2199 said:

I am new to the fourm, my apologies if this is not the right thread.

Welcome to the forums! Happy to have you here.  🙂

Very interesting issue.  I would think that it was wood / tannins, but I don't see any wood in the tank or botanicals.  The other thought is that when water has that sort of a tinge maybe it's ammonia or bacterial.  What is the ammonia and nitrate levels in this tank?

For starters my recommendation would be to add some carbon to the filtration if you can.  Also take a look at the mod thread I have in my signature regarding "phase 1" fixes which amounts to adding a piece of foam in the large cutout in the basket and will slightly help to encourage better filtration mechanically.

As a sidenote, you will have a slightly better experience if you can raise the water level just a little bit with the tidal.  It'll give you a little better circulation, run quieter, and give you more surface agitation (not splashing) which means higher oxygenation.

1.png.a7cc6aced4666cb1578b376ef32c6846.png

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1