Getting to know members through journals

Guppysnail

Many long time members know this but recently I’ve seen quite a few folks state they did not know about the journals section. 

A journal can be anything. A specific project. A conglomeration of random happenings in your tanks. A running log for your tanks to help track dates of happenings. 

Mine is a random conglomeration of all my fish stuff. I also have a few specific to new projects. 

It helps folks get to know one another as well as each others tanks and provides more meaningful interaction with one another. Like minded folks or folks interested in the same things tend to follow those journals. They offer ideas and get to ask questions and gain inspiration. 

It adds a level of personal interactions not often found on the internet. 

I encourage everyone to try it no matter if  you are just buying your first tank or you have many tanks. 

If you need help getting started I’m more than happy to help with that or any forum questions. Just send me a message. You can put a link to your journal/s in your signature so folks can find it easily. 

If you wish to turn a current topic thread into a journal let me know I’ll help with that also. 

I just want to let everyone know there is an unanswered question section found in the menu. Many new folks sign up looking for advice on an issue. Take a second each day to check out that section please. How awful it would be for a new member to seek help only to go unanswered until it is too late. 

HAPPY FISHKEEPING FOLKS 🤗

0F1C244B-7BFA-4F5B-A60D-59B104A6CB42.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Please post journals! Half the time I come to the forums to answer questions I go back and look at whoever has been posting their journals!

We are a friendly lot! No need to defend your style of tank with “it’s my kids tank” or the like. The creativity that people express in this hobby is great and as a former petstore employee I love seeing what people can do with bright purple gravel and spongebob themed decor! 

Not everything needs to be an award winning aquascape! Thanks for the post @Guppysnail id say half my time now on this forum is lurking on peoples journals 👀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

On 8/11/2023 at 3:40 PM, Guppysnail said:

Many long time members know this but recently I’ve seen quite a few folks state they did not know about the journals section. 

A journal can be anything. A specific project. A conglomeration of random happenings in your tanks. A running log for your tanks to help track dates of happenings. 

Mine is a random conglomeration of all my fish stuff. I also have a few specific to new projects. 

It helps folks get to know one another as well as each others tanks and provides more meaningful interaction with one another. Like minded folks or folks interested in the same things tend to follow those journals. They offer ideas and get to ask questions and gain inspiration. 

It adds a level of personal interactions not often found on the internet. 

I encourage everyone to try it no matter if  you are just buying your first tank or you have many tanks. 

If you need help getting started I’m more than happy to help with that or any forum questions. Just send me a message. You can put a link to your journal/s in your signature so folks can find it easily. 

If you wish to turn a current topic thread into a journal let me know I’ll help with that also. 

I just want to let everyone know there is an unanswered question section found in the menu. Many new folks sign up looking for advice on an issue. Take a second each day to check out that section please. How awful it would be for a new member to seek help only to go unanswered until it is too late. 

HAPPY FISHKEEPING FOLKS 🤗

0F1C244B-7BFA-4F5B-A60D-59B104A6CB42.jpeg

Do you have to do something special to make it a journal, or do you simply post a thread in that section you circled and continue to add to it? 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2023 at 9:06 PM, Alex S. said:

Do you have to do something special to make it a journal, or do you simply post a thread in that section you circled and continue to add to it? 

Just start a thread in that section and update it as you go. Anything you would like to share with whoever chooses to read it. 

On 8/11/2023 at 8:45 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

half my time now on this forum is lurking on peoples journals 👀

Yes!  That is me. I’m NOSEY 👃 and I love to see what others do. The creativity and amount of inspired ideas I get from journals is amazing. It’s added a whole other dimension to my hobby. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 8/11/2023 at 1:40 PM, Guppysnail said:

It’s funny I’m reading this JUST NOW. About three hours ago, I had a message typed out to you asking if you could help me do that - then I just decided that would be a stupid idea and I’d just post a link to that topic thread instead. Now, I’m finding out it’s not such a stupid idea. 🤦‍♀️ Oh well! 

• Like 2

On 8/12/2023 at 9:11 PM, Vicki said:

It’s funny I’m reading this JUST NOW. About three hours ago, I had a message typed out to you asking if you could help me do that - then I just decided that would be a stupid idea and I’d just post a link to that topic thread instead. Now, I’m finding out it’s not such a stupid idea. 🤦‍♀️ Oh well! 

Message me anytime.  I’m happy to help. I’m retired. It makes me feel useful 😉If you want me to move your topic or merge it with another of your topics just send links via dm and I can take care of it. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for this suggestion and offer of help. I am new to aquariums (but now have two) and have been keeping a paper notebook for each tank. I can’t imagine that anyone survives this hobby without logging - if they do, they have better memories than I! I’m retired as well, and aquariums were a bucket list item. Soo much to learn. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Janet C. what a perfect time to start a journal. As other keepers new to the hobby come along they will be able to read your journal and see what things you dealt with and learned. Old timers can chime in with helpful suggestions. I myself love newer keepers journals. It keeps thing fresh and I get all kinds of ideas from them. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 6:11 PM, Vicki said:

So, for example, if I find a thread that has helpful details in it that I want to refer to later, can I add a journal “entry” that has a short description of why I’m saving it and then add the thread link to the journal entry?

On 8/13/2023 at 4:47 PM, Janet C. said:

So, for example, if I find a thread that has helpful details in it that I want to refer to later, can I add a journal “entry” that has a short description of why I’m saving it and then add the thread link to the journal entry?

If it is someone else’s thread you can copy the address and paste in your journal saying this was helpful etc. if it’s your thread you can do the same or I can merge it with your journal. 

I think that is what you are asking so if it is the answer is yes. 

• Thanks 1