White spots on glass and hardscape

Lindsay S

Hi, there are some white spots on my aquarium glass as well as some of the rocks in my aquarium. I think that they might be limpets but I’ve never seen them before so I wanted to make sure they weren’t something else. The fish all look healthy and have no spots or issues.

Tank:

55 G planted aquarium housing 20 neon tetras, 8 spotted blue eyed rainbow fish, 7 kuhli loaches, 1 honey gourami, 3 nerite snails.

Ammonia = 0 ppm
Nitrate = 20 ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm
Hardness = 150 ppm (GH)
Chlorine = 0 ppm
Alkalinity = 100 ppm (KH)
pH = 7.2
Temperature = 23 C (~74 F)

IMG_6684.jpeg.8240d70b924c3efdc4f343b48349ca93.jpeg

On 8/9/2023 at 11:00 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Hi! You have 3 Nerites and at least one of them is female. Those are Nerite eggs. 

Totally harmless, won't hatch. Hard to get off surfaces but eventually fade. Just call it tank glitter and a happy Nerite. 

I had this as well. I was worried my angel fishes are laying eggs and is being scattered by water flow. But upon reading this post I remembered I put 2 nerite snails last two weeks ago. 

Did you successfully bred nerite snails before?

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 9:32 AM, Kevin A said:

Did you successfully bred nerite snails before?

Nah, they aren't easy, and require brackish water to multiply. I don't know of any fish keepers that have successfully bred Nerites. Happy Nerites just like to lay infertile eggs everywhere 🙃. Most fish keepers don't like having the females for this reason which I'd why I usually tell someone if they want Nerites and don't want eggs to ask the store they get them at before purchasing them if they would trade for a different snail if one found a female. Personally I don't mind them. I just scrape them off viewing glass, the others fade in time.