Dull patches on corys?

Jaspyjasp

Hello community,

Just wondering if I should be concerned about these dull patches on the cory’s skin? It almost looks like it is shedding its skin. I just rescaped my tank and they have been very excited spawningthe last couple days. They seem fine otherwise, but  these patches showed up a couple days ago O_o I am using Kanaplex just in case. Behavior seems normally, lots of movement, but just this strange dull patchiness. These corys spawn every 2 weeks and I do a 50% WC every week bc of the stiphodon gobies. No ammonia. Can corys get sunburn from too much light?

Any thoughts @Colu?

6863E911-16A9-4E76-873C-4EA5E8F7CB32.jpeg

ED571530-B27A-4D82-BE7A-D045AE62EA82.jpeg

6653B03D-710A-4636-9459-D21DA183F753.jpeg

7988D708-632E-41B2-89A2-83B5B015E687.jpeg

B44AA468-E8FE-407E-B086-EF2CE4FC67ED.jpeg

EB9CDF73-CDD2-482F-9FF1-FCBAD81D2A38.jpeg

Edited by Jaspyjasp
  • Like 1

You can get these patches with columnaris or a  fungal infection what I would do is keep treating with kanaplex and I would also treat with ick X just in case  it's a fungal infection if your noticing them get worse after the first course of kanaplex then I would treat with a combination of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan @Jaspyjasp

Screenshot_20230801-160434.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Colu Thank you again for your help! The corys recovered for the most part. I did two rounds of jungle fizz + kanaplex, and am now treating with Ich X because there is ONR  juvenile that seems to have this yellowish fuzzy patch. He seems very healthy otherwise except this residual patch. I almost wouldnt catch it except it is slightly raised.

Any suggestions of what else I should do and how long should I keep the others in QT?

Thank you!!! 🙏🙏🙏

On 8/25/2023 at 9:49 PM, Jaspyjasp said:

@Colu Thank you again for your help! The corys recovered for the most part. I did two rounds of jungle fizz + kanaplex, and am now treating with Ich X because there is ONR  juvenile that seems to have this yellowish fuzzy patch. He seems very healthy otherwise except this residual patch. I almost wouldnt catch it except it is slightly raised.

Any suggestions of what else I should do and how long should I keep the others in QT?

Thank you!!! 🙏🙏🙏

Possible secondary fungal infections you also get fuzzy patches with columnaris I couldn't rule it out if all your other have recovered what I would do if you still have them in quarantine is also add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 3 gallons I wouldn't get above this level of salt with Cory's and keep treating with ick X for next 5 days 

Edited by Colu

On 8/25/2023 at 11:28 PM, Jaspyjasp said:

@Colu ok thank you! I’ll try that. Yes everyone js still in QT to be safe. I’ll look up more about adding salt so i know what i’m doing 😅 thank u!

With aquarium salt you only want to add back in what you take out so if you do a 3 gallon water change put 1 table spoon of salt back in as salt is only removed though water changes

@nabokovfan87they are actually in a QT tank right now. I think they were stressed because I had done a massive re-scape and had stirred up the substrate. The ammonia readings were 0 when i put them back in, but maybe something surfaces in the tank? They also spawned a couple days later. I think all of that change and spawning possibly triggered a disease, and because they spawned for a couple days touching each other - i had about 6 cory affected. Nothing else in the main tank got the weird patches, and i dosed with kanaplex to be safe. Main tank inhabitants are still going strong, just trying to get rid of the last “patch” on a juvenile cory. Im dojng a water change with more ICHX and salt per @Colu instructions now 🤞

• Like 2

Hey @nabokovfan87! Thanks for checking in. I think the salt and ichX is working! The patch looks like it’s receding. Im doing 3G water change everyday and re-adding 1TB salt + ichX. I think i still have a couple days to do.

In my main tank, parameters:

GH: 71.6

kh: 3

temp: 76.6

ammonia: 0

i have stiphodon gobies, a panda garra, and the cory in there. I do a 50% water change every 7-10 days. All bottom dwellers :)) it’s hard to get a pic of the juvenile and i have no light on this QT tank right now. i’ll keep u posted with how things go in a couple days tho.

• Like 2

@Colu@nabokovfan87 UPDATE - Corys are doing well and the little juvenile looks clear!! 🎉 Thank you guys so much for your input, engagement, and feedback 🙏❤️ I am so happy they are looking so good! I’ll do water changes gradually to take out the salt and ich. 

@Colu Really appreciate your getting back to me so quickly. It made such a difference being able to tackle this so efficiently and learn how to take care of sick fish. If you live in the SF Bay Area I could give you some corys 🤣THANK YOU! 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2023 at 11:04 PM, Jaspyjasp said:

@Colu@nabokovfan87 UPDATE - Corys are doing well and the little juvenile looks clear!! 🎉 Thank you guys so much for your input, engagement, and feedback 🙏❤️ I am so happy they are looking so good! I’ll do water changes gradually to take out the salt and ich. 

@Colu Really appreciate your getting back to me so quickly. It made such a difference being able to tackle this so efficiently and learn how to take care of sick fish. If you live in the SF Bay Area I could give you some corys 🤣THANK YOU! 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

I would take you up on the offer of some Cory's but  I live in the Uk good hear that they made a full recovery 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/31/2023 at 3:28 PM, Colu said:

I would take you up on the offer of some Cory's but  I live in the Uk good hear that they made a full recovery 

Ah boo! Well thanks again 🙏 I learned a lot from this experience. Hopefully you won’t hear from me too soon 😅 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@Colu hello again - I’m sorry to bother you about this issue but in a slight conundrum. One of the corys has resurfaced the white fungus after being in QT. Unfortunately, my QT tank is being occupied with a few new endlers.  2 endlers have died, but the last 4 look quite healthy - I added some meds to their tank a couple days ago . I dont have space for another QT tank 🙈 - i already have 5 tanks running. I’m unsure where to put this sick cory - is it common to put sick fish into a QT tank with seemingly healthy fish? i guess that would be the least risky, but i guess it exposes the endlers to this disease - although theyve already been exposed to other things with the 2 dead endlers. Sorry if this was a ramble 🙈 Appreciate any of your expertise! 🙏

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 6:41 PM, Jaspyjasp said:

@Colu hello again - I’m sorry to bother you about this issue but in a slight conundrum. One of the corys has resurfaced the white fungus after being in QT. Unfortunately, my QT tank is being occupied with a few new endlers.  2 endlers have died, but the last 4 look quite healthy - I added some meds to their tank a couple days ago . I dont have space for another QT tank 🙈 - i already have 5 tanks running. I’m unsure where to put this sick cory - is it common to put sick fish into a QT tank with seemingly healthy fish? i guess that would be the least risky, but i guess it exposes the endlers to this disease - although theyve already been exposed to other things with the 2 dead endlers. Sorry if this was a ramble 🙈 Appreciate any of your expertise! 🙏

What medication have you added to quarantine tank for endlers if you have added medication that will treat a fungal infection then I would consider putting it in with them 

On 10/6/2023 at 8:00 PM, Jaspyjasp said:

I added kanaplex and ichX….that should work right? 

Ur right, i need to dose kanaplex for 2 more doses anyway, so I should add him.

Yes I would move in with the endlers ick X and kanaplex should sort him out hopefully you won't have any reoccurring issues with your Cory's 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 12:00 PM, Jaspyjasp said:

Ur right, i need to dose kanaplex for 2 more doses anyway, so I should add him.

I usually do two runs of kanaplex.  The directions specify that after 3 treatments, if you need to and you don't see stress, to go ahead and proceed with a second round.  You can also re-dose the ich-x as well at that time if advised to do so.

On 10/6/2023 at 3:14 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I usually do two runs of kanaplex.  The directions specify that after 3 treatments, if you need to and you don't see stress, to go ahead and proceed with a second round.  You can also re-dose the ich-x as well at that time if advised to do so.

Thank you @nabokovfan87 and @Colu🙏

IchX says to dose everyday and do 30% WC until symptoms are gone, but how would that work if i’m also using kanaplex? do I still do the water changes even tho kanaplex is an antibiotic? Or do I only dose IchX once?

In the past I did WC for the ichX and did kanaplex every other day, but now im not sure if that makes sense for the kanaplex 🤔 

thank you for any insight!

Edited by Jaspyjasp

On 10/6/2023 at 3:31 PM, Jaspyjasp said:

IchX says to dose everyday and do 30% WC until symptoms are gone, but how would that work if i’m also using kanaplex? do I still do the water changes even tho kanaplex is an antibiotic? Or do I only dose IchX once?

Correct. so... in my instance, and please correct me @Colu There are some meds like bacterial meds (kanaplex is one of these) where you have multiple doses so that it can slowly build up to a level over time.  That's why it's important to not do water changes and to absolutely do water changes in other instances.

With your situation, I would:
-good water change on the tank, clean the filter, check everything, then you start "day 1"
-follow the directions to the letter on kanaplex, dose in ich-x only on day 1.
-after 3 doses of Kanaplex (one treatment) then you do your normal 30-50% water change and you can give the fish a rest day or proceed to the next series of doses and another dose of ich-X.

In the end.  "One treatment" would be 2 courses of kanaplex, 2 doses of ich-x over 2 weeks.

• Like 2