Red cherry death ring

Vítor

Hey guys some of my shrimp been dying but all my parameters look good today i looked at one of the shrimps in my aquarium and it looked like he had a death ring but rly small, can anyone tell me if this is a death ring or im just overthinking 

IMG-20230807-WA0015.jpg

IMG_20230807_143711.jpg

The white ring of death is overemphasized. If most of your shrimp are exhibiting this at once and dying then it’s an issue. Otherwise the shell has areas that are predetermined to split so shrimp can easily molt and get out of their shell. 
 I do not worry when I see this unless I suddenly start seeing an unusual number of dead shrimp with the ring which means they could not molt correctly.
Cute shrimp 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2023 at 6:46 AM, Vítor said:

Hey guys some of my shrimp been dying but all my parameters look good today i looked at one of the shrimps in my aquarium and it looked like he had a death ring but rly small, can anyone tell me if this is a death ring or im just overthinking 

As mentioned it's a bit of a misnomer.  I will attach a video below showing a shrimp molting. In a "normal scenario" you do not have that white opening on the midsection. That opening is a sign of "something" usually stress of some capacity.  Stress comes in all forms and a lot of time it can be very minor.

You'll also note, the shrimp here has the same ring but also was able to finish molting.

If a shrimp was say bent at an awkward angle by a net or by filtration it might lead to that exoskeleton opening up. If the shrimp ate a hefty meal, same thing.  If the shrimp molted too early during the last molt and then this next time you see a white ring it could.just be a sign that this shell isn't thick enough and the shrimp needs to get back on cycle. If GH swings, if KH drops.... You get the idea. There's a lot of "stress factors" and what that leads to could be a white ring on the body of the shrimp. Sometimes that stress is fatal.

The best advice if you see the white rings is to be sure to feed a "complete" shrimp food at this time and make sure everything is ok in the tank. That should make sure the shrimp has all nutrients to molt accordingly and develop shell as it needs to.  If there is any real chance of "saving" a shrimp from the white ring, that's the only and best advice I've gotten.

Ultimately shrimp molting isn't a one time thing. They have to get into a cycle and that is why consistency is critical for their success. That consistency helps them to molt in time and learn their surroundings.

• Like 4