Microfauna ID please

Does it have a curled under tail. I can’t really see in your photo. If it’s a scud it a good cleanup crew and live food  I add them to tanks ***that have fish large enough to eat them**** they are small shrimp like critters and tends to overpopulate without predators to control them if there is excess detritus  

62BC56D8-5C72-499D-B08F-AB63EA941305.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 9:53 AM, beastie said:

Hey I have THE EXACT same freakng thing in my tank and was told it is Cyclops. I was surprised too, but apparently that is how some of cyclops looks

Cyclops (copepods) look like this. They are also tiny. Like the flat head of a pin. Scuds are a baby neocaridina size  

D45FED58-5A9E-45F9-8E1F-AFCFE8B5C9BD.png

• Like 1

I dunno, the thing I have is freshly hatched bbs size. My small shrimps that I finally started seeing are way bigger than this. I have like 4 of these strange bug like creatures and the pictures you are showing are females with eggsacks. Maybe what we see are males or females without eggsacks?

On the other hand, if it is not cyclops, what is it then. I couldnt find anything close to it in any descriptions. It is white from the bottom, if it sticks to the glass, and it is greyish brown on the top and fully oval. There may be something small sticking out of it in form of an antena or tail but I am glad I can see the thing at all

Check out ostracods or ostracoda. They do very small have legs or pseudolegs or swimmerets or something on the under side for propulsion, and they vary greatly in size and shape, but that range certainly includes what's shown in your vid. When moving, they have a gliding or smooth motion, unlike daphnia or copepods. I tend to think of them like a clam, that swims sort of vertically with the hinge part up to the sky, and the "legs" coming out at the bottom. This is absolutely NOT morphologically correct, but it works for a shape/appearance/form description. 

• Like 2

Mine are most likely cyclops, based on some videos I have seen. They seem to be doing well in the tank, loads in the surface plants, I saw few on the glass

How dangerous are they to fry/super tiny fish? My indostomus dont seem to be able to catch them, they are too fast.